5th Grade News
September 4, 2015 - NO SCHOOL Monday, Sept. 7
Wow, what a week!
This week has flown by! We are still perfecting our classroom rules and procedures. We began switching this week for Math, Language Arts, and Science. Please sign up for the Remind "reminders". They will keep you the most up to date with what's going on in the classroom.
We took our MAP tests for Math and Reading this week, presented our Exploring Numbers Projects, spent some more time learning about The Leader in Me and covered Habits 2 and 3.
The Leader in Me-Be Proactive
We are so excited to begin implementing “The Leader in Me” at Parkside Elementary! The Leader in Me Program focuses on the 7 Habits of Happy Kids. We believe that every student has the potential to be a leader. This program teaches students practical character and life skills that will lead to positive choices. We are covering all of the habits to get the students familiar with them, but our focus for the month of September is Habit 1 – Be Proactive. Ask your child how they can be more proactive at home and at school.
This Week's Recap & Next Week at a Glance
Unit 1: Number Puzzles & Multiple Towers
- study multiplication facts
- learning & practicing multiplication strategies
Please check out the Number Puzzles & Multiple Towers Family Letter. It will give you some insight into our first unit with benchmark goals and examples.
Science- Force & Motion
- Force & Motion Vocabulary -vocabulary is very important in understanding the concepts for science
- Science Textbook Online (Unit F)
(both links are available on Mrs. Morgan's weebly website- katiemorgan10.weebly.com
Language Arts & Writing
Your child was given their login information for several websites for reading class (there are some blank ones too-they will get those as they are introduced). Please check the front of their YELLOW Reading Notebook.
- Biblionasium is the website we are using to record our nightly reading (30 minutes/30 pages). This can be done on any mobile device or computer.
- We are working on analyzing character's traits from different Read-Alouds.
*****Ask your child about Tony Baloney and Mo :0)*****
- We have been writing good jots about our characters using EVIDENCE from the text.
Biblionasium- Our On-Line Reading Log
Although you do not need to join as a parent, there is also a parent component and you and your child can access BiblioNasium from home. As a parent you will then be able to see my reading lists, monitor your child's independent reading and even set up family reading challenges. If you wish, you may also want to give your child permission to connect online with friends to see what others are reading, to read book reviews, and to receive and recommend books.
To login from a home computer
- Go to www.biblionasium.com
- From the top right-hand corner, select “Members sign in”, Kid’s Sign in
Username and Password are in the front of your child's Yellow Reading Notebook.
To Join as a parent
- From the top right-hand corner, select “Join Us” and follow the instructions. You will first be asked to provide your child’s username and password (see above). That will connect your account to your child and to our classroom.