August 27, 2021
Transportation Updates & Reminders
Hello Penny Road Parents,
We made it through our first week and it was absolutely wonderful! Having a full house or shall I say school has been terrific. Thank you for your patience as we reacclimate ourselves to a new school year. And, most importantly, thank you for raising such amazing young people. Our students are simply the best and they are truly loved.
Below are a few changes and reminders. Please read them carefully and follow the procedures for carpool and walkers as outlined below. I hope that you have a wonderful weekend and we will see everyone including our kindergarteners on Monday.
Carpool Riders -
Morning Carpool Reminders
Please remember that we only have a single carpool line for our morning carpool. For the safety of our children, we ask that you DO NOT go around stopped vehicles. Students should also wait in their cars until a staff member begins the carpool process.
Afternoon Carpool Reminders
Thank you for your patience as we work through our afternoon carpool dismissal process. The number of carpoolers has doubled this year which will result in carpool taking longer than in the past. Please remember that if you are in a vehicle and parked anywhere on our lot you will need to pick up your child in the carpool line and not in the front with walkers. The walker area is reserved strictly for students who walk to school only.
As an added measure of safety for our students, all walkers will be provided with Walker ID tags that will go into effect on August 30th. Walker ID tags will only be issued to families who live within a 1.5-mile radius of our school. Please note that parents WILL NOT be allowed to pick up their children if they do not have a Walker ID Tag.
Transportation Changes -
While we would love to accommodate last-minute transportation changes, we will not be able to do so if they are not made by 3:00 pm. Changes to transportation create delays that impact the entire carpool procedure that slows down our process. If you wish to make a change, email your child's teacher by 3:00 pm.
Outdoors Lunch for Students
WCPSS has moved to a new vendor, CastleBranch, for completing criminal record checks for all volunteers that will be working with students and staff on and off campus.
Each school has a volunteer coordinator that will work with applicants to have their criminal background check completed and their volunteer approval processed. Penny Road’s volunteer coordinator is Michele Valvano.
The steps for volunteer approval are as follows:
The volunteer will email the school coordinator, email@example.com, and request a volunteer application.
Michele will email the applicant an Electronic Invitation (Evite) to complete and their criminal background check will begin processing. Volunteers are no longer required to register on campus and can now use any computer, ipad or phone to apply.
The approval process takes approximately 5 business days after the application is submitted.
The applicant will receive emailed notification from the WCPSS HR department of their approval or denial.
Important Upcoming Dates
Friday, September 3rd - School Spirit Day! Wear your favorite Hat Day
Monday, September 6th - No School - Labor Day
Tuesday, September 7th - No School - Teacher Work Day
We are excited to open our first online school store of the 2021-2022 school year! We know you’ll love this year’s design and the many apparel options we’ve chosen. You’ll see some old favorites and some totally new + fun styles! Plus, we’ve got traditional Penny Road school colors and lots of surprises.
All of the items we are offering in our store are soft, cozy and high quality. These items are the perfect way to show your Penny Road spirit this year.
Our ONLINE spirit wear store will open on Wednesday, August 18 and it will close on Wednesday September 1 at 5:00 pm. Please note that all orders must be placed online and will ship directly to your home. Shipping is FREE for all orders over $50, otherwise it is $8. Orders are expected to ship to you within 12-15 business days after our online store closes.
To order please visit: https://pennyroadspiritwearfall2021.itemorder.com/sale
Don’t forget, your spirit wear order supports our school! If you have questions about your order, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you considered joining the PTA?
- There are several reasons to join the PTA:
- The overall purpose of PTA is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
- Our school PTA works to promote programs for all children in our school through art and education-based events. In addition, our PTA works to fundraise throughout the year to fund opportunities to further enrich the learning experience at PRE.
- This year we will be hosting general meetings both in-person (following Covid protocols from school and county) and will be allowing people to participate virtually using Google call.
- To join our school PTA (which also gives you access to WakePTA and National PTA), visit: http://www.pennyroadpta.com/pub.html
We Need You!
Please consider volunteering at PRE. All are welcome. To kick off the year, we are specifically recruiting volunteers for the following positions:
Community Sponsorship Chairperson/ Committee
- The Community Sponsorship Chairperson/ Committee works with the Spring Carnival Chairs to solicit community involvement for sponsorship for general needs and for the Spring Carnival.
- Time Commitment: This committee is most busy in the summer putting together a list of companies to solicit to be involved as a sponsor. Follow-up calls and sending letters to current sponsors and new sponsors.
- For 2021-2022: available
- Works directly with the VP of Fundraising
Consumer Rewards Chairperson/ Committee
- The Consumer Rewards Chairperson/ Committee manages the fundraising by means of grocery store loyalty programs, Amazon Smile, R City Rocks, Box Tops for Education, and more. The Chairperson/ Committee works to promote this fundraising throughout the year by encouraging people to enroll in loyalty programs, holding box top contests, etc.
- Time Commitment: works throughout the year but can generally be managed via email and efforts at home. Ex: If a need arises to collect Box Tops, the Chairperson/ Committee can arrange via VP of Fundraising ways to collect during the school year
- For 2021-2022: available
- Works directly with the VP of Fundraising and the VP of Communication
Yearbook Chairperson/ Committee
- The Yearbook Chairperson and/or Committee will work together to create and manage the yearbook for the school. This involves coordinating with the school office on picture day to make sure that the school clubs get pictures and soliciting pictures from teachers/ staff and room parents of happenings around the school to include in the yearbook.
- Time Commitment: works throughout the year to coordinate with administration on obtaining photos of activities around school. Coordinates with the contact who is contracted to take school pictures to put together the yearbook. Would work with families of 5th-grade students for dedications.
- For 2021-2022: available
- Works directly with the VP of Communication and school staff
- Make sure to Like and Follow the Penny Road Elementary PTA Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/PennyRoadPTA. We will primarily be using the Panda Pulse and the PRE PTA Facebook page to communicate with you this upcoming school year.
It is time to check on your consumer rewards accounts and make sure they are up to date. This is a quick and easy way to help support Penny Road Elementary.
Harris Teeter- make sure to link your Harris Teeter VIC Card online or in the store.
To do this online:
- login on to your account
- Find: Together in Education
- Look for the Current Schools you are linked to.
- Make sure to type in Penny Road Elementary School/ 1871/
PENNY ROAD ELEMENTARY/Location: CARY, NC