September Edition (Volume 129, Issue 1)
Thank you to all our families for a great start to the school year. It was wonderful seeing many of our families on campus for the first day breakfast hosted by our EdFoundation (thank you EdFoundation Board for putting this together). It really has been a nice start to the year and we appreciate the help of our families as we've fine tuned pick up on Wednesdays.
We continue to work hard to return the school program to pre-COVID years. While many of the districts around us have been experiencing high numbers of students and staff testing positive for COVID we have not. We believe a key factor in our success to date (it could change) is the diligence of our parents in monitoring their children's symptoms and taking the extra precautions for keeping them home. Making sure everyone is symptom-free on campus is a key strategy for maintaining our ability to keep students in seat. You will find a link to the symptom screen tree in the link below that we are following.
We are also excited to welcome two new coaches to our athletic program. Mrs. Michelle Cogle is coaching the Volleyball teams and Mr. Chase Covington is coaching our Football team. Both are welcome additions and we are grateful for their contribution to the students at NCC. Mrs. Shasta Christ is returning as our cross-country coach which is now underway (read below for important information about this program).
Jim Brimble has recently resigned from his position on the School Board. Jim has served faithfully in this capacity for the past 6 1/2 years. We wish him the very best and offer our gratitude for his service. This also leaves a vacancy on our Board. More details on applying to serve on the NCC Board is below.
Cross Country Information
Practices will start on Tuesday after school (from 2:35-3ish for K-3 and from 3:10-4 for 4th-8th).
Next week practice will be on Tuesday and Thursday and all the weeks after will be Tuesday only since meets will be on Thursdays and Fridays.
The first meet will be on 9/16 at Bethel for 4th-8th. We are co-hosting a meet on 9/17 with Millville school that will be at Anderson River Park for the K-3rd kids. Because we are hosting, we will need some volunteers to help out. We need help setting up the course and handling the registration, etc.
Parents are also asked to register at the link below to receive information from Coach Shasta Christ. (https://www.remind.com/join/nccsxc2021).
The EdFoundation is running a weekend challenge. Anyone who has 2 sales over the weekend will have their name entered for a $50 Amazon gift card. Read more about it by opening the flyer below. Our goal is to raise $10,000.00 for the Education Foundation.
It's as simple as 1, 2, 3!
1. Register at https://www.shopfund.com/
2. Share custom student support links with family & friends.
3. Student Goal: 5 Online Supporters.
REGISTER-SHARE-WIN: Sharing gets you tickets for chances to win over $100,000 in instant prizes.
* Why We Fundraise - (https://vimeo.com/showcase/8770826)
* How To Videos - (https://vimeo.com/showcase/8752027)
* Kick-Off Videos - (https://vimeo.com/showcase/8749076)
* Parent Letter - (https://bit.ly/37XL5Qn)
* Prize Program - (https://bit.ly/3fteINJ)
06: Labor Day/No School
21: School Board Meeting, 6:00 pm
25: EdFoundation Movie Night, Time TBD
19: School Board Meeting, 6:00 pm
23: Fall Carnival (Tentative)
School Board Vacancy
- Are at least 18 years old and a registered voter.
- Are a resident of the North Cow Creek School District.
- Have at least a high school diploma or a certificate of high school equivalency.
- Not have been convicted of a felony.
- Not be a current employee of the district and/or be related to a current employee in that district.
- Are available to attend a minimum of 1 evening Board meeting per month.
Contact the school office if you have questions or are interested in being considered for this position. You can also complete the Candidate Application Form below and send it the the North Cow Creek School office.
We are in need of individuals who would like to substitute as an aide or yard duty when current staff are absent. If you are interested, please complete the classified application below and send/email it to the office. Candidates would need to pass a security/back ground check and take a paraprofessional test. We'll offer help in preparing for the paraprofessional test.
We also are in need of substitute teachers. To qualify, an individual must have their Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university, take the CBEST test, and apply for a 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit. We will work with interested individuals to complete the CBEST test as well as the application.
2021/2022 School Year Calendar
Board Meeting Information (Board Meetings now begin at 6:00 pm)
Business conducted during the August Board meeting:
- First read on proposed Board policy revisions.
- Public Hearing/Approval of changes to the Independent Study requirements allowing for 3 day independent studies.
- Approved the increase of substitute teacher pay to $150/day.
- Approved the Superintendent as an authorizing agent for the School Board (sign contracts, etc.)
Business to be conducted at the upcoming Board Meeting (September 21 @ 6:00 pm):
- Approval of proposed Board policy revisions.
- Approval of increase to classified minimum wage to $15/hour.
- Public Hearing/Approval of resolution regarding sufficiency of instructional materials for all students.
- Approval of District's participation in the School Project for Utility Rate Reduction (SPURR).
- Closed Session: Review of Superintendent's goals and consultation regarding labor negotiations.
Resources for Parents
Parents with students in grades 4-8 may use the link above to access the student information portal. Not much to see just yet. However, it would be great if parents can make sure their login works.