Central Park East II
CPE II Notes April 8, 2018
Return to school tomorrow, Monday, April 9
Health & Wellness meeting on Wednesday, April 11 at 8:30 am
ELA test for students in grades 3 - 8 Wednesday April 11th & Thursday April 12th
Now is the time to check for LICE
If everyone checks, we can reduce the number of cases. We have averaged 1 - 3 cases per class. This means you are checking and we are limiting the spread.
Picture Day for Elementary School and Siblings Re-scheduled Wednesday, April 18, Thursday April 19
If you use the 110th Street "C" train stop - Important
If you use the 110th Street "C" train stop you will have to start taking an alternate route to school from Monday until the end of the school year. Beginning 5 AM Monday, Apr 9 until Sep 2018 trains will skip Cathedral Pkwy (110 St) in both directions.
STEM Day Out April 18th for our Middle School students
We are thrilled that all our Middle School students will attend. STEM Day Out at the The New York Aquarium, brought to us by Con Edison, a free program that aims to stimulate interest among middle school students in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). CPE II middle school students will be going on April 18th. Bag lunches are needed and can be brought from home or provided by the school.
A set of permission slips will be going home this week. Please sign and return them.
All activities will invite students to utilize STEM to better understand and protect the world's oceans. Your program will include:
- opportunities to investigate marine mammal artifacts using scientific tools to analyze and compare specimens
- an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of an aquarium exhibit
- a hands-on animal encounter
- an educational sea lion show
- an exhibit based animal adaptations hunt
- and more!
April 28 - Spring Fair -Feria de Primavera
We kick off the Spring Fair on Saturday, April 28 with a Bike New York Learn to Ride event from 11-1:00. Please supply your own bike and safety equipment, register here https://www.bike.nyc/education/programs/learn-to-ride-kids/.
We have loads of fun activities planned including archery, arts and crafts, dance, story telling, games and much more. Uptown Boogie bike blenders will be there, make a smoothy while pedaling a stationary bike. There will also be electronics recycling, bring your old computers, batteries, and other electronics for disposal. Stay tuned for volunteer opportunities.
Spring Concert, Thursday May 31st. Save the Date
The concert will include:
- 3rd, 4th, 5th grade and some Middle School Violinists
- 4th grade Chorus
- Middle School Dancers
- Middle School Tappers (Tap Dance)
Drum roll please...
Have you been wondering how we are doing on our Box Top collection goal? Well, wonder no more. If you remember, we set a goal for 2017/2018 school year of 4,000 box tops. I am happy to report that as of our March submission, we reached 4,640 Box Tops. Way to go CPE II.
Thank you to everyone who has sent in Box Tops. The next official deadline is not until the fall, but please submit your Box Tops on an ongoing basis via your child's purple folder. I will send out reminders before the end of the school year and start reminders again in September.
If you have any questions, please contact Kylie's mom (Missy Lloyd: email@example.com).
If your child was born in 2015 you can apply to pre-K3 Deadline May 11
- Online at schools.nyc.gov/ApplyOnline
- By phone at 718-935-2009
- In person at a Family Welcome Center
Visit schools.nyc.gov/WelcomeCenters for locations and hours
All families who submit an application by the deadline will get their results letter in late May 2018. If you get an offer, pre-register by the deadline in June 2018 to accept.
Resources for Family Programs and Summer Camps
Children's Aid Society (CAS) Free Summer Camp
I have spent several days at our new location during the break. I met with our new partners, The Children's Aid Society (CAS). This has many benefits including, but not limited to, a free after-school program for grades K to 8 (Make sure you complete the Preparing for 2018-19 School Year Survey to indicate interest) as well as a summer camp.
Although PS/IS 50 students will have priority access to their summer camp program this summer, the application is now being opened to CPE II students in current grades 2 - 8. (Their groups for Kindergarten and First Graders are full right now, but should spaces open, we will let you know.)
The camp is usually held at PS 50. We are not sure if it will be there, or in an alternative facility close by due to the work that needs to get done this summer.
A Great Program with CHILDREN'S BOOK ILLUSTRATOR BRYAN COLLIER April 22
Four-time Caldecott Honor recipient Bryan Collier is a beloved illustrator known for his unique artistic style, which combines watercolor and collage. Join Collier for a reading and discussion of Between the Lines, his latest picture book about NFL-star-turned-artist, Ernie Barnes, whose work influenced a generation of painters and illustrators.
Recommended for ages 4 and up.
April 22, Presentations, 1:30 and 3:30 pm
Sackler Center, Studio Art Lab, Guggenheim Museum 1071 5TH AVE, NEW YORK, NY
BETWEEN 88TH & 89TH ST.https://ny.guggenheim.org/childrens-book-illustrator-series-bryan-collier--
Price per family (includes admission, workshop materials, and one copy of the featured book): $40; $35 members; $25 for Family Members, and Cool Culture families.
See interview below.
One of my favorite new books...The Word Collector
Author/Illustrator visit for Pre K, Kindergarten and 1st Grade
We are excited to let you know that on Thursday, May 3rd we will host the author and the illustrator of a new book (to be published April 10, 2018) entitled, "What if.." by Samantha Berger and Mike Curato.
The book costs $17.99, but I am planning to purchase a quantity and make them available at about $11.00 if there is interest. The books will be autographed at the time of the visit. Please use this survey to indicate interest.
Farm for City Kids and City Kids Adventure Learning Program
Central Park East 2 has been accepted into both the Farm for City Kids and City Kids Adventure Learning Program during the week of July 23, 2018. Students in current grades 3 - 8 are eligible to apply.
Please complete an RSVP for each child that is interested in attending. Please note completing this form does not mean your child is accepted, but is part of the application process. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSesQQpbcgB_rCcs-geO66zsA39XFw2CMUa42i55mz9x8IjYuw/viewform
You can see more about the programs at http://farmsforcitykids.org/our-program/.
Based in upper Manhattan, we offer small-group writing workshops for children ages eight to fifteen, led by master teachers and professional authors. To ensure our workshops are accessible to all children, tuition is pay-what-you-can. Uptown Stories creates an exciting, challenging, and supportive community in which young authors thrive.
The Diller-Quaile School of Music
The Diller-Quaile School of Music, 24 East 95th Street,
ALL SCHOOL INFORMATION SESSIONS FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR
Wednesday, April 11 at 8:30 a.m.
Friday, May 4 at 1:00 p.m.
Tuesday, May 22 at 6:30 p.m.
Unplug for Screen-Free Week!
Screen-Free Week is April 30 – May 6, 2018! For one full week, schools, families, and entire communities will rediscover life without screens. Read a book, plant a garden, visit a museum, play in the woods, go for a long walk, make art – the possibilities are endless! Whether you’re a long-time celebrant or newly curious, the week offers an opportunity to disconnect from corporate tech and re-engage with the world around you.
Past participants tell us that going screen-free has helped them feel invigorated, relaxed, and connected with each other (and we know from experience that they’re right!).
- Weds. - Thurs., April 11th - April 12th New York State English Language Arts (ELA)Test for grades 3 - 8
- Weds. April 18, All Middle School Students STEM Day Out at New York Aquarium
- Weds. - Thurs April 18/19 Elementary School Picture Day
- Saturday, April 28 - Spring Fair
- Tues., May 1 - Weds., May 2 New York State Mathematics Test for grades 3 - 8
- Thursday, May 31st Spring Concert
- Friday, May 11th Early Dismissal for Staff PD
- May 23 – June 1st Grades 4 and 8 Science performance test to be administered.
- Thursday, May 31st Spring Concert
- Monday, June 4th Grades 4 and 8 New York State Science Written section
- Wednesday, June 20th 8th grade graduation
- Thursday, June 21st 5th grade moving up ceremony
- Miercoles - Jueves, 11 de abril - 12 de abril Examen del idioma inglés (ELA) grados 3 - 8
- Martes, 1 de mayo - Miercoles, 2 de mayo Examen de Matemáticas grados 3 - 8
- Viernes, 11 de mayo salida temprano
- Miercoles, 18 de abril, todos los estudiantes de escuela media STEM Day Out en el acuario de Nueva York
- Miercoles/Jueves Abril 18/19: Días de Photos Pre K - 5
- Sabado, 28 de abril Feria de primavera
- Jueves, 31 de mayo - concierto de primavera
- 23 de mayo - 1 de junio Grados 4 y 8 Examen de rendimiento de ciencias para ser administrado.
- Lunes, 4 de junio Grados 4 y 8 Sección Escrita de Ciencia del Estado de Nueva York
- Miercoles, 20 de junio Graduación de octavo grado
- Jueves, 21 de junio Celebración de 5to grado