Update from Vista Oaks
A great place for your child to grow...
Important Update for High School Students and Their Families
On October 7, the governor signed Senate Bill 172 into law. This bill suspends the administration of the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE), as well as the requirement that students pass the exam in order to receive a high school diploma.
What does this mean to our current and future high school students?
- The CAHSEE is no longer a requirement for graduation.
- Completing the school's course requirements as listed in the parent handbook are now the only requirements to earn our high school diploma.
What does this mean to previous high school students who did not earn a diploma because they did not pass one or both portions of the CAHSEE?
- Districts and schools are now required to grant students who did not pass the exams in prior years a high school diploma as long as all other requirements were met.
Where can I find out more information?
- You can learn more by going to the California Department of Education's website.
- Use this link to take you directly to the latest informant: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/hs/cahseesuspendfaq.asp
School pictures will be on Oct. 20th at our Byron Site with a make-up day two weeks later. More details to come, but mark your calendars!
The MONSTER MASH!
The Monster Mash Halloween Dance for the whole family is on Saturday, October 24th from 7:30-11:30 p.m. Costumes are required! Tickets now on sale from High School Leadership Students and Charmaine.
$10 per person, $12 at the door, or until sold out.
2 yrs and under Free. Families of 5 or more is only $50.
October Field Trip - Oakland Museum BEES TOUR K - 8th grade Oct. 21st at 9:45 am
Information from Charmaine:
$100 fee will be divided by 34 students or however many attend,
it will come out of your family budget from the school.
Want to Chaperone - email Charmaine
Siblings 8 and under are free
Adults are 1/2 price @ $8.00
No refunds, but you can transfer it to another family. Once I tell everyone what the cost will be then I can't change it if someone backs out.
Take a look at the wildly diverse and intricate world of one of the most important creatures to human agriculture and the natural environment. In an immersive gallery environment, discover real bee specimens under a microscope, crawl through a human-sized beehive, and try on a beekeeper suit. Come explore the causes of bee population decline, learn about the significance of bees to California’s economy and ecosystems, and discover how simple but powerful actions by Californians can help bees to survive in a changing world. Tours for grades K–6 available.
Scholastic Book Fair is coming to Vista Oaks in Byron on Nov. 2nd - 9th!
We are looking for parents to help with the fair; any day and time you can do would be very helpful! We'll also need help setting up beforehand. Contact Charmaine at Charmaine.Abasolo@vistaoaks.net
Scholastic Book Orders
The new October Edition for Scholastic books are here! Pick one up at the school in the Oak Room (front office) or the Resource Room (Charmaine's Room).
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- There is no school Wednesday, November 11th due to Veteran's Day
- Thanksgiving break is November 23rd-27th
- Winter break is Friday, December 18th-January 1st
- There is no school Monday, January 4th due to a Professional Development Day