The Civil Law
Athena & Saylor
Remedy- Solution to the harm caused by the accused person.
Plaintiff- Person who files a legal action or claim.
Defendant- Person being sued or accused of a crime.
Equity- Justice under the law that is influenced by fairness.
- Generally, people file civil lawsuits in court.
- Judges & Juries use laws to settle these conflicts and decide remedies.
- Civil law provides two kinds of remedies for breaking the law : compensation, and equity.
- Civil law provides a way for you to get compensated for damage caused by another person.
- Not every lawsuit can be settled with money.
- Judges usually establish equity by ordering the defendant to do something or to stop doing something.