Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - March 2018
Hat's Off to Reading
Wrinkle in Time Challenge Deadline is Friday March 2.
Read Across America Week Feb. 26 - March 2
Monday – “Thing 1, Thing 2 Day”
Find a friend and dress like twins
Tuesday – “Oh The Places You’ll Go Day”
Dress like “what you want to be when you grow-up”
Wednesday – “Wacky Inside Out Wednesday”
Wear you shirt inside out
Thursday – “Fox in Socks”
Wear fun or mismatched socks
Friday – Favorite Dr. Seuss Character Day
Dress as your favorite Dr. Seuss Character
PAWS for Books Book Fair March 12-20
March 12-20, 2018 in the PES Pirate Cove
Purchase books to support our school and classroom libraries. Students shop with their class during their Media Resource time and other times added to the schedule starting March 12 with Resource Day G. Check with your child’s teacher if you would like to shop with your child.
- Teacher Preview – Monday, March 12 from 3:00PM-4:00PM Teachers can make wish baskets so that parents can purchase books for classrooms.
We also have “Puurrfectly” fun family events scheduled:
- Donuts for Dads – Wednesday, March 14 from 7:30AM-8:30AM
- Mojos and Magic Family Night - Thursday, March 15 5:00PM-7:00PM. We are excited to welcome Mark Allen the Magician. His show will begin at 5:30.
- Paws for Books Pet Photo Contest – Show us how much fun your pet has reading with you. Enter an 8x10-color photo by March 15. Winners in each grade will win Book Bucks.
- March 16 No School, Plenty of Books at the Book Fair – open 10-2 for shopping
- Muffins for Moms – Tuesday, March 20 from 7:30AM-8:30AM
Volunteers will receive a 10% discount on their purchases. You can sign-up at the media center website or the PTO website. Visit http://www.scholastic.com/bf/palenciaelementaryschool - for online orders, eWallet sign-up, book flyer and book fair apps.
*We can no longer accepts checks at the book fair. Cash, Charge and eWallet.*
MackinVia Ebooks for Dr. Seuss and Pets
Our Numbers for February 2018
Number of Books Checked Out - 4,078
Number of E-books Viewed - 2,289
Number of Classes - 122
Number of Magazines Checked-out - 75
Most Check-outs by a Student - Vrinda 20 books
Class with the Most Check-outs - Mrs. Ledford's Class 187 books
Most Check-outs by a Teacher - Mrs. Simpson 105 books
Volunteer Profiles - Meet Ms. Lana
Super SSYRA Readers
Parmis - 15
Aaron L. - 15
Hannah B. - 15
Liam C. - 15
Nick V. - 15
Graham - 15
Isabella M. – 15
Emlynn - 15
Catiria – 14
Max T. 15
James E. - 15
Julianna U. - 15
Jack K. – 12
Carlyn - 10
Russel - 9
Will L. - 9
Vrinda - 14
Emma M. - 13
Ethan C - 10
Gabby B. - 14
Kayleigh R. - 11
Lindsey G. - 10
Jackson M. - 9
Ethan E. - 10
Gabby C. - 9
For more information and a list of books, visit the PES Media Center website.
If a student reads 3 or more SSYRA or SSYRA Jr. books they are eligible to vote on April 10. Once students have read 10 or more books they are eligible to participate in the Battle of the Books test which will determine our Battle team members. The battle test is March 22, 2017. Keep reading pirates!
SSYRA and SSYRA Jr. Voting April 10 in the Media Center
What will we be learning in media this month?
- Dr. Seuss Trivia and Biography - Wrote over 60 books, pen name, rhyme, moral lesson
- What is a call number and how do I find books searching Destiny?
- Book Fair Book Talks - what are the latest books that will be in the book fair this spring
- Bookmark Orgami
- VOTING April 10 in the Media Center
- Pictures - Do they appeal to you and do they make the story better?
- Plot/Theme/Subject - Does the topic of the story make you think or teach a lesson? Do you and other children like the topic of the story?
- Characters - Can you relate to the characters? Are the characters funny or appealing in some way?
- Author/Illustrator - Does the author have a reputation for good books? Do you like other books by that author?
App of the Month - Socrative
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.