intentional deception for gain
Examples of Fraud
- Phishing and Smishing: A fake email or message is sent out to get someone to provide personal/account information. Typically they act as a bank and say they need to update your information.
- Retail/Auction Fraud: This is when you buy something online, but you don't get it.
- Work At Home: Online you pay for a kit or components for and "easy" job at home, but you just end up receiving a box with instructions on how to trick other people like the person just did to you.
Ways To Avoid Fraud
- Do not reply to emails that request personal information.
- Research the institution or program and read the customer ratings.
- If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is.