2601 Shady Brook Dr. Bedford, TX 76021
December 18, 2015
Shady Brook Vision Statement:
Knowledge Informs and Determines Success for Students
Shady Brook Mission Statement:
The mission of Shady Brook Elementary is to educate all students for success today and tomorrow.
From the Principal's desk. . .
I cannot believe that it is already time for our Winter Break. Thank you for all of the time that you have spent working with us as partners in your child's education. We truly appreciate you! Here are a few bits of information that you might find helpful:
- Tweet us @shetlandpride! SBE now has a Twitter account. This account will be used to share the great things that are happening in the classrooms here at The Brook. Also, we'll post reminders about upcoming events.
- Have you "Liked" us on Facebook? This will be another great way for you to get information about what is happening at SBE.
- Do you want to be reminded of when the newsletter goes out, upcoming events and other updates? Sign up for our "Remind" group. This program sends a brief text and/or email to keep you up-to-date. Flyers have been sent home, but if you would like more information about this program, please don't hesitate to let me know.
- '80s Day! Bring out the neon bows, rolled-up pants and mismatched socks. Help us celebrate the 80th day of school by getting into your best '80s gear!
We hope that you and your family enjoy some rest and relaxation during this holiday season. Again, thank you for the opportunity to work with your children every day. We look forward to seeing you all on January 4th!
Shady Brook Elementary
Clarence Scott, Assistant Principal, Shady Brook Elementary
Important Dates. . .
Winter Break begins Dec. 19 and goes through Jan. 3, 2016.
Enjoy your time with family!
1/4 - School starts; First day to apply for a school transfer for the 2016-2017 school year
1/4 - First day to apply for Suzuki Strings for the 2016-2017 school year
1/4 Help us celebrate the 80th day of school by wearing your best '80s attire
1/5 - KAB Club meets at 3pm in Mrs. Van Kleef's room; PTA Board meeting in the library at 6:30pm
1/8 - Campus Geo Bee at 1:30 in the cafeteria
1/12 - Homeroom Parent Mtg. in the cafeteria at 6:30 p.m.
1/13 - Student January Birthday celebration during lunch in the cafeteria
1/15 - End of the Third Six Weeks; Students dismissed at 12 noon
1/18 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - School closed; Professional Work Day for staff
1/21 - Suzuki Strings field trip to Bass Hall for grades 2 - 6; PTA Mtg. & Writing Night at 6:30 in the cafeteria
1/22 - Report cards go home; Popcorn and Coke Day
Suzuki Strings Applications for 2016 - 2017
Shady Brook is one of HEB ISD’s Schools of Choice offering the Suzuki Strings Program in Kindergarten through 6th grade to prepare students for the secondary orchestra program. Applications for new students will be available in January 2016 for the 2016-2017 school year. If you are interested in this program, please see Mrs. Campbell in the office for an application.
The Suzuki Method is an internationally renowned method for teaching young children to play an instrument. It is modeled on the Mother Tongue approach of language acquisition, and parents are integral to the process. For students to participate, a parent (or grandparent) must be available to attend a weekly lesson during the school day (during the FA/PE time) and practice daily with the child at home.
HEBISD Family Support Services
Doubled-up with friends or family
Living in a hotel or motel
Living in a shelter
Living in a car or unsheltered
There are services to help you! Call HEBISD Family Support Services 817-399-3470!
This year we are partnering with NRH2O Family Water Park in a Perfect Attendance Program. Every student who has perfect attendance for the 2015-2016 school year will be eligible for a free admission ticket to the NRH2O Family Water Park. Here's what you need to know:
- The student must have perfect attendance according to HEBISD's school attendance policy for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Encourage your child to attend school every day!
- Tickets will be awarded to students by their teacher.
- Tickets will be valid for admission during the 2016 season.
- Each ticket is valid for one free admission only.
- Tickets cannot be replaced if lost, stolen, or damaged.
We hope this program helps encourage your student to attend school every day!
Lisa Evans, Counselor
Notes from our Nurse...
12 Healthy Habits for the Holidays!
Wash your hands!
Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables!
Get at least 8 hours of sleep!
Drink plenty of water!
Get your immunizations!
Exercise or play outside one hour each day!
Wear a helmet when biking, skating or skateboarding!
Take a shower or bath every day!
Brush your teeth twice a day!
Be drug free!
Have a HEALTHY and SAFE Holiday and New Year!