Second Grade Schedule
9:00-10:00 CAMP (computers, art, music, PE)
12:40-2:25 Language Arts
2:25-3:30 WIN (What I Need) time
Homework will not look like traditional packets sent home on Monday to return on Friday. Things you WILL see:
· We will have project-based assignments that might take 2 or 3 weeks to complete. Each one will come home with detailed information of all the expectations concerning it.
· You will see some math, but it won’t be just worksheets.
· Spelling will look different too. Five words will be sent home on Mondays with a common spelling pattern. The kids are expected to practice the pattern, not just memorize the words. This will ensure they can apply the rule to other words.
· The spelling test on Fridays will have words that match that pattern, but might not necessarily be those specific words. There will be 10 words on the test that match the pattern we studied for the week.
· The most important part of homework will be reading for at least 20 minutes every day, including school library books. We will not do a traditional reading log. We will know your child has been doing their reading homework because they will come back to school and take a Reading Counts test on their library book. If they are pass the test, we know they are reading J
· If they are not getting the required 2 Reading Counts points per week, then on a designated day we will have study hall during recess, and those kids who don’t have points will have to stay in and read and take Reading Counts tests.