Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School Week of June 10, 2019
Spotlights & Reminders: Last Week of School!
- FAREWELL TO MEMBERS OF OUR VOYAGER FAMILY: We know we have some students and families moving out of our district, city, state, and country, and we wish you all safe travels and contentment in your new homes. You will be missed! Farewell to our staff teammates: Thank you and best wishes to Sydney DeTurk, Coleen Holgate, Gia Del George, Mozhdeh Beheshti, and Susan Lechowicz, who will embark on new adventures next year. We are grateful for all your contributions to our school community!
- 5th Grade Promotion is at 10:30 AM on Thursday, June 13 in Strand Hall! Families are free to take their 5th graders home immediately following the ceremony.
- 2nd-4th Grade Students will participate in a Field Day on the last day of school prior to early release at 12:30 PM, while TK, Kindergarten and 1st grade have their own celebrations. TK and K will release at 11:45 on Thursday. Students are encouraged to bring their lunches on the last day of school.
- PLEASE RETURN ALL LIBRARY BOOKS! And, if you are still cleaning and finding school materials after this Thursday, our offices will be open through June, so don't be afraid to return them to us later!
- This week’s theme is CELEBRATE!: There is so much to celebrate as we promote our 5th graders, reflect on progress, and move our students on to the next grades!
REMEMBER TO REGISTER YOUR NEW OR RETURNING VOYAGER STUDENT!
If you have general questions about the registration process or if you do not plan on returning for the 2019/20 school year, please contact Silver Strand Elementary's registrar: Ms. Junk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-522-8934 ex 4097
If you have specific questions about the online registration portal, please contact Karen Maggio, Information Systems Technician via email at email@example.com.
PLEASE REGISTER TODAY!
We look forward to seeing you in the 2019-20 school year!
Safety Updates from Karen Pierro (Thank you, Mrs. Pierro, for overseeing our safety this year!)
As we wind down these last few weeks, we sincerely appreciate our parents & visitors continuing to take safety seriously! Here are a few visual reminders for our BUSY drop-off / pick-up area. Please continue the great job you all do when driving, walking, and biking safely to our campus! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
The blue crosswalk in the middle of the dropoff/pickup area is reserved for use by school community members with disabilities during our busiest times. If you park to walk into school with your child, please use the crosswalk by Strand Hall.
When dropping off or picking up your students, please stay to the right. The left lane is for parking and is not safe for passing.
Student Council News
Coronado School Foundation Events and Updates
Summer Enrichment is back!
Registration is now open for Coronado Schools Foundation's 2019 Summer Enrichment Program featuring hands-on STEAM-inspired classes for students, grades TK-12.
This educationally focused program offers two, one-week sessions with some classes offered over both weeks. Classes are held from 8:30 to 11:30 am and 12:00 to 3:00 pm with most classes at Village Elementary School. There will be a supervised lunch period from 11:30-12:00 for students taking both morning and afternoon classes.
Most classes are taught by credentialed Coronado Unified teachers with Steve Reiss, a local expert, teaching SAT/ACT and Excelsior Chess offering Chess Camp. Class sizes are small with experienced teachers at the helm, planning and executing the curriculum.
Registration is now open! Register by May 15th to save $20 off each class!
Coronadoenrichment.org to register now!
Did you know that the Coronado Schools Foundation supports the Silver Strand Band, Choir, Science Lab, Visual and Performing Arts Programs, Technology Resource Teacher, Library, and academic support teachers? CSF brings STEAM to Silver Strand Elementary! Support our programs through donations to CSF here: https://csfkids.org/
Voyager Yearbook: Sales at School on Monday in the front office!
Yearbook sales are no longer available online, but you may purchase via $25 cash or check (made out to SSE PTO) in the office. If you wish to reach out directly to arrange purchase or pickup, please contact Natasha Anderson at email@example.com.
Students are welcome to bring yearbooks to school on the last day of school for peer signatures!
Thank you to our parent volunteers who put our yearbook together!
Calendar of Upcoming School Events
TUES 6/11: 8:30-2:30: 5th Grade Beach Party
WED 6/12: 10:15: Tk-4th Grade Awards Ceremony
THUR 6/13: 10:30 AM: 5th Grade Promotion
Field Day for 2nd-4th Grades
11:45 PM Release for TK-Kindergarten
12:30 PM Release for 1st-4th grade students
FRI 6/14: Teacher Workday and Checkout
ON THE HORIZON:
Aug 19: First Day for Teachers
Aug 22: First day for Students
8/29: Back-to-School Night at SSES
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling.
See https://coronadosafe.org/ for more information and to register for upcoming events.
Silver Strand Elementary School is SO fortunate to have the full-time services of our very own MFLC (Military Family Life Counselor), Gia Del George! Our MFLC is available to help students through the emotions and transitions associated with military life.
For information about military-sponsored activities for youth, visit the Fleet and Family Services website here.
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/