Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, Sept. 23 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack); Pizza Hut Hot Lunch forms and money due in.
- Saturday, Sept. 24 - District Fun Run: Muskoseepi Park; 9:30 am (see poster below)
- Thursday, Sept. 29 - Pizza Hut Hot Lunch for those who preordered
- Friday, Sept. 30 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack); Orange Shirt Day (see poster below).
- Wednesday, Oct. 5 - Grade 1R Picture Day
- Friday, Oct. 7 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack).
- Monday, Oct. 10 - No school for Thanksgiving
- Friday, Oct. 14 - 11:40 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack)
- HOT LUNCH: Throughout the year your child will have the opportunity to participate in special hot lunches that are brought into our school. These hot lunches are helping to raise funds for our much needed playground. Money and forms for our first hot lunch of the year are due in tomorrow.
- BINDER: Please remember that everything your child brings home in their binder is yours to keep for review and discussion. The YELLOW "Communication Log" and the CLEAR plastic pocket should always remain in the very front of your child's binder. They are checked daily! The plastic pocket is where items like lunch money, book order, etc. should be placed otherwise it risks getting missed. Thanks so much for taking the time to teach your child how to organize their binder....it makes checking 23 binders each morning run a lot smoother.
- FUNDRAISER: At the beginning of the school year your child came home with a fundraiser package filled with catalogs and rewards. Please know that this is the ONLY (non-playground) fundraiser that will happen at our school this year. That means it is super important for our students to help us raise as much money as possible! Money raised stays right in our school and goes directly to our students for opportunities like field trips and special guest presentations. Please take some time over the next few weeks to help your child sell some items for this great purpose! Orders will be due back after the Thanksgiving weekend.
- CODE OF CONDUCT: All schools in the Grande Prairie Public School Division follow a set Code of Conduct. This Code of Conduct has been developed to support students, teachers, administrators, and parents in the successful day-to-day development and maintenance of relationships which foster and support learning. A caring, respectful, and safe learning environment is physically, emotionally, and psychologically safe for all members of the school community. Items in this document include: Behaviors, Bullying, Attendance and Discipline. Please look over this document (using the hyperlink above) and refer to it as necessary.
- LABELING: Our lost and found is already overflowing!!!! It is highly encouraged that students please have all their belongings labelled clearly. This includes jackets, sweaters, hoodies, hats, lunchkits, etc. We have started a small lost and found box in the grade one bootroom, and there is a larger box near the office as well. As you can imagine, labeled items are much easier to match up to their owners if your child leaves an item out at recess or in the hallway.
- SCHOOL FEES: School fees are due next week. Payments can be sent as cash or cheque. You can also pay via debit or credit card at the school office.
1) This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Daisy Dragon and Ollie Ostrich. Then have them tell you what sounds those two characters like the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent those sounds. Daisy Dragon (D, d, dd, ___ed) and Ollie Ostrich (SHORT O o, au, aw, al)
2) This week the students were introduced to the concept of "Open Friend". Please have your child teach you what an Open Friend's job is and when they will get to be the Open Friend.
3) Our new sight words of the week are “a”, "the", "and”. We have been dancing our hands whenever we see these words in our reading. We also learned that “the” is a jail word, have your child teach you what this means.
4) In math we have bee working with patterns. Have your child search for patterns around your home. Then have them tell you the attribute that the pattern is using (ex: colour, size, shape, kind, texture, etc.).