By Shannon Carney
- Eating disorder: Any range of psychological disorders by unusual habits.
- Self esteem: Knowing you're worth something good; having confidence
- Healthy: Being in good health
What are eating disorders?
Eating disorders include serious eating habits. These habits can be binge eating then throwing it all up, or barely eating anything at all and it very little portions.
Types of eating disorders
The four main types of eating disorders:
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Binge Eating disorder
Causes of eating disorders
- Biological- around 50-80% of people have eating disorders because of genetics
- Social- The pressure to have the "beauty" of an unrealistic "hot" body
- Also could be from low self esteem, depression or bullying
One Word - Episode 34: You Don't Look Like... (Eating Disorders)
How to prevent getting or continuing an eating disorder?
- Be aware of the types of disorders and their symptoms.
- Don't listen to things or people who say something is the desirable body type.
- Never put your body of others body types down.
- Remember that there are other healthy ways to lose weight.
- Ask for help
- See a specialist
- Address health issues
- Long term treatment plan
- highest mortality rate of all psychological disorders.
- Only 25% are males.
- Is rarely noticed for a while, is continued and then is never treated.