Ms. Arnold's Weekly News
Week of 9-22-14
Message from Ms. Arnold
Homecoming week came to end on Friday with a fun and eventful pep assembly in the morning and the parade and football game in the evening. It was a great week of school spirit. It's weeks like this that remind us of how great it is to be a part of the cardinal family. Go Cardinals!
Homecoming Pep Assembly
Classroom Learning Time
Our Focus Points
Reading / Language Arts
Students are continuing to work through our Daily 5 rotations, Read to Self, Read to Someone, and Partner Fluency Time. Students are setting goals to pick best-fit books within a variety of genres. I do not expect students to read AR books nor meet any specific AR requirements through the year. Rather I expect them to read, a goal of 40 books this year, across all genres. Reading skills and strategies we are targeting will focus on one our CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expand Vocabulary) areas. In comprehension we are working on identifying the main idea of the passage/story.
Math (Topic 1/Unit 1)
We are continuing to study various place value and/or number sense objectives. Students worked on features on a number line, number patterns, and rounding to the nearest 10 and 100. This week we will be wrapping up Topic 1/Unit 1 and will be taking the final assessment at the end of the week.
Students are continuing to gather stories in their writer's notebooks. We have begun identifying and creating complete sentences using all 5 parts (subject, verb, complete sense, capital letter and end mark) as well as recognizing different kinds of common nouns.
We will be starting our first unit this week "Forces and Motion". Students will be exploring with different types of forces and how they impact motion of things/objects. They will also learn about Sir Isaac Newton and his three laws of motion.
This Week's Spelling Words: List #3
Week of 9-22-14 (Test is Friday)
Weekly Specials and Nightly Homework
Tuesday: Gym; Math Homework #2; Study spelling words; Red folders come home
Wednesday: Computers; Study spelling words; Red folders come home
Thursday: Gym; Study spelling words; Red folders come home
Friday: No specials; Spelling test #3; Red folders come home; new spelling list comes home
Keicher Dates At A Glance (September)
DATES AT A GLANCE
23 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry –
6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
25 4th Grade Mackinac Parent Meeting – Keicher 5th/6th Grade Cafeteria – 6:00 p.m.
9/29 – 10-2 Book Fair Week
30 Picture Day
1 FALL COUNT
6 Bible Release – 2:10 – 3:10 p.m.
13 School Board Meeting – 7:00 p.m. -MCHS
Good News Club – more information to follow
14 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 -7:30 p.m.
21 6th Grade Band – U of M – all day
24 Keicher Elementary Student Lock-in – 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. – Halloween Theme
28 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry –
6:30 -7:30 p.m.
Other Keicher News
1. If you are dropping your child off across the street, please remind your child to use the crossing guard. This is for their safety. The crossing guard is there before and after school. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
2. ATTENDANCE is very important to your child’s education. Everyday is a new learning experience; your support in making sure your child has good attendance makes learning much easier for them. If your child is ill or must miss school for an appointment, please call the school at 764-5200 to let us know. A doctor/dentist excuse, with date and time, is required for an excused absence. Any other absences will be counted toward the 10 days allowed.
3. BOOK FAIR – We are in need of some parent volunteers to help with our Book Fair the week of September 29th. If you can help on any day, Monday through Thursday, please give us a call at 764-5200 x2019. Any time you could give us would be greatly appreciated.
4. LADY HOOPSTERS – Please join our Lady Cardinal Basketball family for after school basketball. This program will emphasize fundamentals while having fun, promoting teamwork and the love of the game. The girls will meet in the Keicher West Gym after school until 5:00 p.m. Girls in grades 3rd and 4th will meet every Tuesday and girls in grades 5th and 6th will meet every Thursday starting the week of September 15th and ending the week of October 13th. The $25.00 cost includes a t-shirt. Forms were sent home this week.
5. BOX TOPS – We will be collecting box tops for education all year long. We encourage you to collect them and send them to school with your student. We appreciate all of your help.
6. MC Mania - To get the year rolling, we need to ask for your help. Our annual fundraiser will be much different this year. We have decided to take a year off from the Frankenmuth catalog sale and take a stab at a different approach. Catalog sales are easy, but not many parents are fans of them. Instead, we will be asking for donations. The kids will earn prizes based on their collected donations. Instead of the 40% that we get to keep from Frankenmuth, we will keep around 75% of the money from these donations, once the prizes are purchased.
For a $5 donation per student, they get to participate in an awesome inflatable fun day that has been named MC Mania! We have rented three inflatables: a huge rock wall/slide with a 40' obstacle course attached (the same one that was at Keicher's field day), a Sport's Arena that holds around 25 kids at a time that they can play basketball or soccer in and a 5 in 1 Ninja Bounce House (the one that was at the Carnival). They will also receive a MC Mania rubber bracelet.
For a $15 donation, they get to go to MC Mania and they also get a pair of red sunglasses that say MC Cardinals on the side. For $30, they get MC Mania, sunglasses, and a black, red, grey drawstring bag with a big MC logo. For $50, they get MC Mania, sunglasses, bag, and a MC t-shirt. For $100, they get MC Mania, sunglasses, bag, t-shirt, and hoodie (and possibly an option for sweatpants instead).
There will also be a family night on Thursday from 3:30-6:30 for a $5 donation. 8. The MICHIGAN CENTER COMMUNITY FOOD PANTRY will be open every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month from 6:30 -7:30 p.m. The pantry is located at the west end of Keicher. Follow the signs through the Pre-School playground gate. See dates above.