an early literacy newsletter from Coos Bay Public Library
Gearing up for Summer Reading!
Summer Reading challenges launch June 14th! Head over to Beanstack to update your account, or register, if this is your first time participating in an online reading challenge. We have challenges for everyone-- from infants to ancients-- so get the whole family ready to participate. The first 100 kids to sign up get a free gift from The Pottery Co.!
Free Books Around Town
If you miss us at the market on Wednesdays, catch up with us on Fridays at Eastside Fire Station (D Street) from 9:00am-9:30am or Empire Fire Station (Wall Street) from 10:00am-10:30am. You can arrange to pick up your holds, drop off materials, and grab a free book as well!
Build Skills Every Day
Little interactions every day can add up to a BIG foundation for learning.
- Talk: Introduce the concept of sequencing to your little one by talking about what you did yesterday, what you are doing today, and what you will be doing tomorrow. Or use the words first, next, and last when describing a process with which he or she is familiar (e.g. getting dressed).
- Sing: Recall a favorite song from your childhood. (One of Miss Bekah's is below!) Sing it together.
- Read: Get a free book from the library booth at Farmer's Market or one of the Friday Fire Station stops (see above) and read it to your child.
- Write: Draw the outline of several shapes on a paper with different colors. Encourage your child to fill in the shape with the matching color. Make sure to name the shapes and colors as you go!
- Play: Take advantage of the beautiful weather and visit your neighborhood park.
Dolly Parton Imagination Library
Thanks to Dolly Parton and other generous donors, every child under the age of five living in Coos County is eligible to receive a free book every month in the mail! Do you have a child/children under five? Do you live in Coos County? Fill out this registration form and turn it in to your local public library. Then get your bookshelf ready!