Leading the pack in education
February 8 House Meeting
February 8 Faculty Meeting
February 9 District Spelling Bee
February 11 McDonald's Night
February 11 504 Meetings
February 12 Valentine's Parties and Afterschool Dance
February 15 AM Curriculum Previews on Campus / PM Campus PD
February 17 5th Grade Math CBA
February 17 UPS-Check check in during conference
February 18 Instructional Rounds
February 18 5th Grade Reading CBA
February 19 Care Team day
February 22 House Meeting (Activity)
February 22 Faculty Meeting
February 23 4th-2nd Grade Reading CBA
February 24 PLC/Art Day
February 25 5th-2nd Grade Social Studies CBA
February 26 Care Team paperwork Due
February 26 End of the 4th Six Weeks
College Wednesdays in February
Recommendations from team and next steps:
- There is a globe "Icon" to place by our standards in the room as a reminder for us to ask students "How would you use this in real life?" or other ways we can make the learning objective relevant.
- Appoint 1 person on your team to make sure you look at and design structural level questions for the unit
- Everyone bring one student task you have designed for upcoming lessons to the faculty meeting on February 8th. We will evaluate them with the R&R rubric and see if there are any tweaks that can "Further the learning objective"
- Everyone bring one workstation along with the TEKS that you have designed for upcoming lessons to the faculty meeting on February 22nd.
Teacher of the Year Voting
The fence is up and the gates will be installed this week. None BISD staff are not permitted to enter through the gates during the school day 7:00-4:00. This includes dismissal. The gates will remain locked and parents will have to walk around the perimeter. I am working on making signs that explain this at each gate.
We appreciate your help in communicating this with parents who do not have these and referring them to the office for a temporary one.
Please continue to make sure parents have their pickup cards. The police said this is one of the best things they like about our school's dismissal for 3 reasons.
1. It reassures parents the person next to them is supposed to be here
2. It highlights individuals who might not need to be on campus
3. It is a very visible signal to the community that there is a system in place to identify people whop are supposed to be here. The police said this is a very strong, proactive, deterrent to those who should not be on campus.
The police were very complementary of our dismissal procedures and I want to encourage your vigilance. If there are any suspicious vehicles around campus, call on the radio immediately so the office can respond quickly. Having everyone be on alert is the best way to make sure only those with a legitimate purpose are on campus.
TAGT on Demand
TAGT On Demand is now open for teachers who are interested in getting started on their annual 6-hour update for 2016-2017. If there are teachers who did not complete their 30-hour or the 6-hour update for this year, they may also continue working on that task. District guidelines require that it be completed by December 31 each year, but the logins BISD paid for will be available until June 30. Please finish hours for this year as soon as possible. Courses are being posted in Workshop as quickly as possible once teachers submit their certificates to Katie Waldrip.
Pictures of Students
If you would like to add picture to the digital sign just upload the pictures to the following folder:
Reminders and Focus
Our security fence has started and will be finished in 2 weeks. The gates will be locked during school hours and can be opened by your key. During the school day (7:30-4:00 on none Aspire days: 7:00-6:00 on Aspire days) these gates are to be treated like an exterior door. Adults and teenagers should not enter these and should go through the main doors, even at dismissal.
- Our goal is to be level 3 (or moving close to it) in most areas on the district rubric for TEKS centered teaching. I have seen many great examples of students interacting with the TEKS in class. Be sure to not only post them, but have discussions so that students understand the goal of their learning.
- Continue to build strong, positive relationships with all the students. Smile often. Choose to see the good and positive. Focus on growth and celebrate often. Nothing is more helpful in the learning process than the effects of trust and joy.
- PLC's should be meeting weekly to answer the 4 questions. Common Formative Assessments should done after mapping out the six weeks, then planning for learning should take place. If you need any support in this, please contact our coaches, Erin, and myself.
- Rigor, relevance, and engagement strategies should be focus on when planning student learning tasks.