By: Jacob Everhart
I have decided to address child abuse because it is very important to understand and to know about. By being aware of child abuse, and helping to educate the people you know, you can help prevent child abuse in your community. Drapers novel inspires me to share this because child abuse happens everywhere and we don't know it.
Abuse of Angel
Angel is a step sister of Gerald. Jordan Sparks which was supposedly her father was caught molesting her. She didn't like to talk about it because it would make Jordan more angry. Angel loved to dance so she could clear her mind and have a little fun. One day, Jordan had taken Angel up to her room while she was cooking something, Gerald was walking buy and saw that the house was on fire, but Jordan didn't know because he was in the room with Angel playing "games". Gerald rushed in and tried to get Angel out but she was unconscious, firefighters had came and rescued the two, but Jordan had died. Angel was okay, but the thoughts reminded her of the bad times she had with Jordan.
- Approximately 5 children die every day because of child abuse.
- 1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 5 boys will be sexually abused before they reach age 18.
- 90 percent of child sexual abuse victims know the perpetrator in some way. 68 percent are abused by a family member.
- Most children become victims of abuse and neglect at 18 months or younger.
- In 2010, 1,537 children died of abuse or neglect.
- 79.4 percent were under the age of 4.
- 47.7 percent were under the age of 1.
- Boys (48.5 percent) and girls (51.2 percent) become victims at nearly the same rate.
- 3.6 million cases of child abuse are reported every year in the U.S. And the number of children involved in these reports is 6 million.
- Abused and neglected children are 11 times more likely to engage in criminal behavior as an adult.
- About 80 percent of 21-year-olds who were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
- 14 percent of all men and 36 percent of all women in prison were abused as children.
Angel would try to never tell anyone that this was happening to her, she finally told Gerald. She hated being abused and molested. Angel would scream and cry. This affected Angel very much so, it scared her, hurt her, and made her distrust her own father. Angel would dance and do other things to try to help with the situation. Gerald comforted her and took care of her. She loved her brother and would not take anything for him.
Call to Action
Understand the causes and effects of abuse and neglect. If you know a parent who is under stress, encourage them to seek help. Us as a city can help these victims coup with their daily lives and help prevent child abuse.