Week At A Glance
As we look forward to this next school year, we are eager to focus on relationships with our teachers, students, and community of families. This is a great opportunity to redefine and solidify our work as an FCI team to work together for the success of our student Falcons. How exciting this prospect is for us!
Looking forward to seeing you all in August! Stay tuned for updated information to come...
~Randy and Kim
- Marcia Gibson - Marcia has most recently taught 4th grade at Brooks School Elementary. She comes to us with a wealth of knowledge and experience in Reading/Writing Workshop, Differentiation, Resource, and High Ability, training many schools in literacy techniques to benefit multiple areas of ELA. She will be teaching 5th grade Humanities with her team member Jason Young. Welcome, Marcia!
- Hannah Pratt - Hannah graduated in May from Indiana University and most recently student taught with Matt Ahlfeld. So we've seen Hannah in action and know she is ready to take on 6th grade. While she student taught in math, she has a passion for the humanities which is perfect for her new role of humanities teacher alongside her team of Bryan Batthauer, Karl Knerr, and Dan Renckly. Welcome aboard, Hannah!
- Lauren Saunders - Lauren joins FCI as a May graduate of IUPUI Herron School of Art. She has taught in and managed the summer learning for students in the area associated with the art school for multiple summers . She is ready to collaborate with her teammate Frank Sergi and the remainder of the FCI staff to integrate the curriculum for art throughout. Welcome, Lauren!
- Brandon Spiedel - Brandon is the new assistant band director at Fall Creek Junior High. He has been an assistant director at Fishers Junior High and worked with Sand Creek Intermediate's sixth grade band as well. Welcome, Brandon!
- Zak Tschiniak -Zak is the new Director of Orchestra at Hamilton Southeastern High School. He will be the director for our beginning orchestra as well. Welcome Zak!
We feel that some of our best PD comes from within our own staff. So how fortunate we are to be able to add to our already outstanding staff with these amazing teachers! Be sure to seek these new Falcons out not only to welcome them but to share with them the incredible things you are already doing at FCI as well as pick their brains to utilize their skills and talents!
Teacher Orientation & In-Service
Club Sponsors & Coaches Wanted
In addition, if you are interested in any of the following specific positions, please email Kim:
- Science Bowl Coach
- Math Bowl Coach
- Yearbook Sponsor
- Volleyball Coach (Assist with Jason Young)
- RtI co-lead with Jessica
- Girls' Basketball Coach
All positions with the exception of Yearbook Sponsor will be posted on the district website as required. Deadline to reply with interest is 8/12/15. See Kim for more information.
Part of the Winning Team
Please consider and let Randy/Kim know if you are interested in participating in one of the following committees:
- Social Committee
- School Safety
So...to keep as up-to-date, check out the most recent FF: https://www.smore.com/ph81a.
ELA - Scholastic Resources
- High Ability - Scope
- General Eduation - StoryWorks
All ELA teachers will be given 10 hard copies of their specific resource for each of the classes taught as well as a code for online access for all students. The hard copies are designed to use with small group work or students who don't have internet access and require at home reading. This resource will support both fiction, nonfiction, and grammar.
Additionally, all teachers will utilize Achieve 3000 focusing on nonfiction used in instruction for the entire classroom. Achieve 3000 also has a component that will be used by all teachers in supporting RtI Reading tier II. Training for Achieve 3000 will occur on August 11th in the afternoon.
Foundation Educator Grant Applications Available
District transition to Office 365 from Google
Please be sure to read the email sent from Jeff Harrison on 5/22/15 with the subject line Email & HDrives - Please Read. This contains important information that you will want to make sure you are aware of.
As a side note, once we (Randy & Kim) were made aware that this change may be a possibility, we did cancel plans to offer PD related to Google Drive. Now that we are aware of the final decision, please rest assure that we will be providing multiple PD opportunities both here at FCI through the next school year as well as with the district.
We've included the nuts & bolts of Jeff's email here as far as the 'where do we go from here' kind of questions/comments....
District links, schedules and information will be posted on the staff portal which is located on our website at http://www.hse.k12.in.us/ADM/staff/.
What will happen over the summer?
- All school machines will be upgraded to Office 2013.
- All staff and students will be given Office 365 accounts in June.
- All staff email will be migrated over to their Office 365 accounts within 6-8 weeks of account creation and will be completed prior to school starting.
How will this affect my email?
- Email will be migrated over the summer in alphabetical groups.
- The migration will consist of moving over all data in your current Outlook including email, calendars, contacts and more.
- The anticipated schedule will be listed on the staff portal along with documentation and tutorials.
- Your email address will not change.
How will I access email?
- On School PC’s – You can continue to use Outlook as normal.
- At home – Instead of webmail, you will use Office 365 webmail which will be linked on the staff portal listed above.
- On mobile devices – When your email account is migrated over, you will need to update your devices. Instructions will be listed on the staff portal listed above.
How will this affect my H: drive?
- You will migrate your H: drives to OneDrive throughout the 2015-2016 school year.
- We will provide assistance moving your H: drive contents onto OneDrive during this time.
- You will have access to your H: drive until June 2016 to allow one year’s time to transition.
- You will now have 1 TB of storage which is 500 times larger than your current limit.
- You will be able to save directly to your OneDrive through Office 2013.
What happens to my Google accounts?
- Staff accounts will be disabled June 2016 to allow one year’s time to transfer content.
What about student accounts?
- Student Google accounts will be disabled this summer.
- They will be given new Office 365 accounts.
- Students will have the same email address they are currently using (@hsestudents.org)
- Each student will have 1 TB of storage which is 10,000 times larger than their current H: drives.
- Student H: drives will be available until June 2016 to allow one year’s time to transfer content.
******* Food for Thought.... *******
What's Happenin' at the Creek!
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
- FCI office reopens at 7:00 am
Friday, August 7, 2015
- New Teacher training - a.m. @ Administration building
Monday, August 10, 2015
- Teacher Orientation/ Work Day (am - Staff Meeting until 11 (lunch) with possible continuation in pm; remaining pm - work in rooms)
- 3:00-4:30pm - Ice Cream Social - all teachers
Tuesday, August 11th, 2015
- Teacher Orientation/Work Day (am - work in rooms; pm - Achieve training-all staff)
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015
- First Day of School for Students
- Students report to gym first thing in the a.m.; teachers assist in hallways directing students to gym & report there are as well to greet students
Tuesday, August 18th, 2015
- 6:00-7:00pm - Meet the Teacher - 6th Grade (Parents only)
- 7:30-8:30pm - Meet the Teacher - 5th Grade (Parents only)