5th Grade News
Charleston Update - December 4, 2015
- 5th Grade Candy Gram Sales (Monday, Dec. 7-Friday, Dec. 11)- $1.00 each (cash only)
- Mon., Dec. 14- Candy Cane Day (wear red & white)
- Tues., Dec. 15- Grinch Day (wear green)
- Wed., Dec. 16- Ugly Sweater Day & PDQ Spirit Night 4-8 pm
- Thurs., Dec. 17- Snowflake Day & Winter Party 10:05-11:05 & Winter Concert 7 pm - Titled- Snow Way Out *Students should arrive at 6:30 pm and report to their homeroom unless otherwise notified. Students are asked to dress in holiday colors. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fri., Dec. 18-Jingle Bell Day
- NO SCHOOL Dec. 21- Jan. 1
Field Trip Information-Updated 12/4/15
The 5th grade Field Trip is to Charleston, SC on February 10-11, 2016 (that is a Wednesday and Thursday). The total cost of this trip is $275. We will spend 2 days and 1 night in historic Charleston.
*The online payment feature is not yet up and running for the Charleston Trip. We will email you as soon as it is available.**
Important Dates: (some dates changed)
- Tuesday, Dec. 15- Pick up Fundraiser Items sold at Parkside (3:30-5:30)
- Monday, Jan. 11- First payment due ($175)
- Monday, Feb. 1- Final payment due ($100)
- Tuesday, Feb. 2- Mandatory Packing Meeting (meet the chaperones)
- 5:45 am on Feb. 10- begin boarding charter buses from Parkside parking lot :0)
Math- Fractions + & -
Some of the students are currently struggling with the fact that there are so many steps involved in solving these types of problems. If you see your child struggling with this concept, please let us know. Fractions are the bulk of the 5th Grade Math EOG and knowing their multiplication facts makes this easier. Please continue to practice multiplication facts at home.
English Language Arts (Reading)
Please make sure your child is still reading a fiction book for enjoyment and jotting nightly. This book should come back and forth from school to home daily. Remind them to log their reading on Biblionasium daily.
Science- Heat Transfer
We had a busy week this week as we continued learning about Heat Transfer. We did some experiments to model the different ways heat can transfer. We also took a vocabulary test covering all of matter this week.
Students need to be able to explain the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation and know examples of each. We will continue experimenting with the 3 methods of heat transfer next week to prepare for our Unit Test on Heat Transfer on Friday, December 11th. Yesterday, students received a study guide to help them prepare for their test. The study guide is due on Dec. 10th.
To practice vocabulary words, I would suggest creating vocabulary flash cards with the word on the front and the definition with examples on the back to promote further understanding.
The Life of a Single Mom Meeting
Thursday, Dec. 10th, 6:30-7:30pm
Mallard Creek Recreation Center 2530 Johnston Oehler Road Charlotte, NC 28269
This is a new group to give single moms the opportunity to come together for encouragement and personal growth.
Featuring: Kids Club where kids are engaged in fun activities while mom is having fellowship. Ages 2 – 12. (children MUST be potty trained)
For More Information or to Reserve your spot today please call: 980-314-1121