UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center
In preparation for next month, I am looking for "good news" stories throughout the region that can be featured in our newsletter. If you have a few pictures and a paragraph of something that you would like to share about student, teacher, or administrator learning, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Holly Morgan
Director, UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center
UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center Needs Assessment
- In order to best meet the needs of our teachers, counselors, librarians, and administrators in Region 4, I invite you to complete the following needs assessment: https://forms.gle/mGxmJw35QAfEXR1TA
- This brief, needs assessment will remain open until Friday, September 13, 2019.
- Please provide us with information as to how we can best support you!
Fall 2019 Professional Learning Opportunities
Alabama Best Practices Center: 2019-2020 Powerful Conversations West and Key Leaders West
The UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center will host the following two networks from the Alabama Best Practices Center:
- Powerful Conversations West 2019-2020
- Key Leaders Network West 2019-2020
The focus of PCN West will be social-emotional learning; the text, All Learning is Social and Emotional, will be the targeted study. KLN West will utilize John Hatties's 10 Mindframes for Visible Learning.
Both KLN and PCN provide an ACLD-PLU opportunity for administrators and those holding leadership certification.
We hope that your school and district teams can join us! For more information regarding registration, please contact Holly Morgan at email@example.com or Tami Barron at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration deadline is August 15! Network space is filling quickly; please complete your registration as soon as possible.
National Board Candidate Support from the UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center
- Orientation session to be held on August 22 beginning at 5:00 pm. Training provided by Leslie Hughes, NBCT.
- If you are interested in being a candidate support provider for 2019-2020, please plan to attend the session on August 22 at 5:00 pm at the UA/UWA In-Service Center.
- To view the 2019-2020 support schedule, visit http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
- NBCT grant application has been released! It is due by September 20, 2019. The application can be found at Ms. Leslie Hughes, NBCT facilitator, will discuss the grant application during our first informational session on August 22. STI-Pd registration for all sessions is posted at http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements.
Alabama Robotics Grant Application: Deadline extended to September 30!!
- The FY2020 Alabama Robotics Grant application has been released. Visit http://www.amsti.org/robotics for more information.
- Deadline extended to September 30!
Quality Questioning Institute: September 3, 2019 and January 10, 2020
Registration closes on Friday, August 23! Quality Questioning is a research-based process that generates student thinking and dialogue to provide formative feedback for both students and teachers. This is a two-day professional learning experience during which you have opportunities to reflect on current practice and deepen your understanding of how intentional questioning can transform classrooms into learning spaces for all learners A special feature is how to teach students new roles and responsibilities that will empower them to become more productively engaged in learning through questioning. Learn through interaction with Dr. Jackie Walsh, author of Quality Questioning, 2nd Edition, the text for the session and a recently designated aligned resource for John Hattie's Visible Learning+.
- The UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center has partnered with the Tuscaloosa City Schools to offer this 2-day institute on September 3, 2019 and January 10, 2020. Sessions will be held in Tuscaloosa Career & Technology Academy Event Hall, 2800 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Tuscaloosa.
- After session #1 on September 3, participants will have specific goals and strategies to apply in their classrooms prior to the second session on January 10.
- The cost of training is free to the first 30 registered participants in our region. Books will also be provided to participants by the UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center.
- Please register via the following Google form: https://forms.gle/kX7vRB8Tei6FbH2C6. You will be notified by our office of your acceptance. Don't delay--register today!
September 10 and 11: PowerSchool Training
- Our region will host training on the new PowerSchool Professional Learning Platform on September 10 and 11. There will be a morning (8:30 am-11:30 am) and afternoon session (12:30 pm-3:30 pm) held on each day. You need only to register for one of the half-day sessions as each half-day session will be a repeat of the same information.
- STI PD: SDEPL001
- Teams of 3-4 are encourage to attend; this training will primarily be aimed at those who currently function in Chalkable PD as PD Managers and Curriculum Managers at the District/LEA level. Those that are responsible for creating courses and confirming attendance in Chalkable are highly encouraged to attend.
- September 10: The September 10 morning and afternoon session will be held at the UA/UWA In-Service Center, 260 Kilgore Lane, Tuscaloosa, AL.
- September 11: The September 11 morning and afternoon session will be held at Demopolis Middle School Lab 212, 300 E. Pettus St., Demopolis, AL.
----PowerSchool Professional Learning Updates----
I wanted to share the following updates regarding the rollout of PowerSchools and migration of Chalkable/STI-PD based upon recent questions asked and information received.
- Chalkable/STI-PD will be turned off permanently on September 20th. You will be unable to access the system after that September 19.
- PowerSchool (the PD portion that is replacing Chalkable PD) will go live on October 1.
- Current Chalkable PD data is being migrated over to the new system. This means:
- Training histories for the past 6 years will be migrated over to PowerSchool.
- My personal suggestion is that everyone should print their personal training histories in case of any issue with the migration. In order to assist you with how to download and print your training histories, Dr. Robert Mayben (Technology in Motion) has provided this brief how-to clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A_Ut4vr3mVaw0eyq-VgFxtQ9x-fkyD8b/view
- Sessions that are currently being created in Chalkable PD (for events scheduled to take place after October 1) should automatically migrate over to the new PowerSchool platform. However, be mindful of the blackout period of Sept. 20-Sept. 31; you will not be able to enter, access or look up PD data during that time. (Another option would be to enter the training after October 1 when PowerSchool goes live.)
Please contact me at email@example.com if you have other questions that I can address for you.
September 16-17: Alabama Best Practices Center hosts Jennifer Abrams
- Camp McDowell, Nauvoo, Alabama
- Coaching Challenges: Multigenerational Issues & Other Conflicts with Jennifer Abrams – A Two Day Institite
- Day 1: Managing Conflict with Clarity and Confidence
- Day 2: Being Generationally Savvy: Working Effectively With All Generations
- For registration information, visit https://aplusala.org/best-practices-center/event/coaching-challenges-multigenerational-issues-other-conflicts-with-jennifer-abrams/
UA/UWA Regional In-Service Center Fall Governing Board Meeting
Tuesday, Sep. 24th, 3:30-5pm
Hale County School District, AL, USA
Alabama Conference on Grading and Assessment for Learning
- October 5, 2019
- Paul W. Bryant High School, Tuscaloosa
- Featured Speaker: Tom Guskey
- ACLD-PLU opportunity included free with registration!
- Registration $75 (includes book), Groups of 5+ are $65 each
- For more information, visit https://acgal.org/
TregoEd: Collaborative Decision Making for School Leaders
- October 9, 2019
- 9:00 am-3:30 pm
- UA/UWA In-Service Center
- Complimentary session--Learn about TregoEd's research-based tools for collaborative decision making.
- Lunch is provided at no charge
- Confirm your spot by contacting Angela Lewis at 348-3319 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 27, 2019.
- For more information, visit http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
October 28-November 1: Brainspring Training
- Registration flyer and session information can be found at http://inservice.ua.edu/announcements
- Brainspring will be responsible for all training registration. The In-Service Center is only hosting space for this event in order to offer it to the region.
UA/UWA Alabama Science in Motion
- In addition to the Back-to-School Summit offered on August 5, training dates will be offered throughout the school year and summer 2020. On-site coaching and support is available to teachers as well.
- For more information regarding biology training and support, contact specialist Lisa Clark at email@example.com
- For more information regarding chemistry training and support, contact specialist Brooks Moss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more information regarding physics training and support, contact specialist Julie Covin at email@example.com.
- Math training K-12
- Science training K-8
- For more information, contact Sara McGee, AMSTI Director at firstname.lastname@example.org