Water Usage Can Change the World

(And Not in a Good Way)

By: Owen Morrison, Sunali Patel, Jeff Leng

Water Usage

So much water is wasted each day but isn't noticed. The amount of water usage in the world is outrageous! In just California people use about 20,000-46,000 million gallons each day. Water in America is thrown away by many things that wouldn't seem that big for instance 16.8% is used for shower,26.7% for toilets,15.7% for faucets,21.7% clothes washer, 13.7% leaks, 5.3% of other things. If that doesn't seem bad enough the average American uses more than 300 gallons of water per day at home and most of this occurs indoors. Water doesn't just keep flowing all the time so we have to put a stop to that.

Water Distribution

Water distribution is the difference in percentage between fresh and salt water. In fact, only 3% of Earth's water is actually usable! The other 97% is either saltwater or in a glacier. As a result, usable water is pretty scarce on Earth. You can find usable water in areas such as lakes, streams, and rivers. Water distribution is a big problem based on how much water on Earth we are unable to use.

Water Conservation

Tips for conservation

  1. Don’t water your lawn every day, instead, only water your lawn on certain days or don’t water it at all.

  2. Only take short showers, you don’t have to spend 30 minutes to 1 hour washing your hair or body. You can wash yourself completely in 5 minutes or less, saving 1 gallon of water or more.

  3. Don’t keep the sink on while you’re brushing your teeth, instead you can soak your toothbrush for 1 - 2 seconds, then turn the sink off.

  4. Replace your toilets with much more efficient toilets that use less water, but still get the job done.

  5. Only use what is necessary with water. Don’t drink excess, don’t use excess and don’t keep the sink on for too long. Only use water necessarily.

Water Distribution Photo

Big image

Water Conservation Photos