1st Semester Exam
The Original State of Man
God created our first parents to share in his love. Only man being "able to know and love his creator" and the "only creature on earth that God has willed for its own sake."
Original Sin and its Consequences
Original sin is the sin inherited by all humankind from Adam and his disobedience of God's command not to eat the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge.
The Word Became Flesh
- in order to save us by reconciling us with God
- we might know God's love
- to be our model of holiness
- so we will be "partakers of the divine nature"
The Paschal Mystery
The Paschal Mystery is one of the central concepts of Christian faith relating to this history of salvation. Its main subject is passion, death, and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The work God the Father sent his son to do on earth.
The Theological Virtues
Theological virtues in Christian philosophy are the character qualities associated with salvation , resulting from the grace of God.
- Faith- the virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that he has said and revealed to us.
- Hope- the virtue by which we desire the kingdom of heaven and eternal life as our happiness
- Love- the virtue by which we love God above all things for his own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the love of God.
Prayer is the lifting of the mind and heart to God. Without a life of prayer we risk losing the life of grace in our souls.. Through prayer we enter into the presence of the Godhead dwelling in us. It is prayer that which allows us to adore God, by acknowledging his almighty power.
The Four Marks of the Church
The four marks of the church distinguishes the characteristics of the Christian Church.
- "one" as a mark of the church. There is one body and one spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call.
- "holy" as a mark of the church. Christ's church is holy because it is Christ's church. The church is holy because God is holy and the church shares in God's very own life and holiness.
- "catholic" as a mark of the church. Applied to the church, it means that the wholeness of the Christian faith, full and complete.
- "apostolic" as a mark of the church. This describes the churches origin and beliefs as rooted and continuing in the living Tradition of the Apostles of Jesus. "A church is apostolic as it recognizes in practice the supreme authority of the apostolic scriptures."
The Last Things
- Death- Jesus Christ opened the gates to heaven, which is an essential part of redemption. However, to attain everlasting happiness, each individual must choose to accept Christ and follow his teachings.
- Judgement- At the moment death, the soul is judged by God and rewarded with eternal communion with God in Heaven.
- Heaven- This is a state of eternal communion with God. In heaven, a person enjoys the immediate vision of God as he or she becomes like him in glory.
- Hell- The state of eternal self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed in Heaven. A person who dies in mortal sin without having repented or sought refuge in the compassionate love of God will remain separate from God forever.
The return of Christ at the end of time. A greek word meaning apparition or presence. At the Parousia, Christ will appear in power and majesty as judge and establish his kingdom in all its fullness. It marks the definite triumph of Christ over sin and death.