Sergei Nikolaevitch Winogradsky
1856-1953 Russian Microbiologist
His discoveries, foundations, and other.
- Chemosynthesis- an entirely new mode of life, in which the energy to build organic molecules comes from chemical reactions rather then from sunlight in the more familiar photosynthesis.
- invented the Winogradsky column
- Discovered and isolated nitrogen fixing bacteria in soil that make nitrates available to green plants.
- Founded Microbial ecology, where the interactions of microles in cycle with their natural enviroments are studied holistically.
- pioneered the cycle of life concept
Sergei's contribution to science
Leeuwenhoek Medal (1935)
Fellow of the Royal Society
-Microbiology." - New World Encyclopedia. Mediawiki, 24 Oct. 2014. Web. 11 Jan. 2016.
- "National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2011. Web. 10 Jan. 2016."
-"Sergei Winogradsky." - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Jan. 2016."