all the going ons from the #1 class on the 2nd floor
Week of December 14th 2015
This week we plan on having a lot of fun studying different Holiday Traditions from around the world, culminating in a world wide tour on Thursday in each 2nd Grade Classroom!
We also have several important dates to keep in mind this week.
The Penguin Holiday Shoppe opens on Tuesday. This is a small shop set up in school where students can purchase small priced items for Holiday presents. Our class is scheduled to go shopping Thursday Dec. 17th. Budget envelopes and additional info went home with Thursday Folders. Please let me know if have any questions.
Our Class will be performing at the Winter Concert Thursday Dec. 17th 6 P.M - 8 P.M. Please let us know if you are planning to attend.
On Friday Dec. 18th We will be having our Holiday/Winter Break Celebration in the classroom from 1:25-2:25.
This Week In Learning!
- Reading- This week we will be learning about Holiday Traditions from different cultures around the world.
- Writing- This quarter we will begin to work on shared research projects to be able to produce all about books.
- Math- We continue to work on addition and subtraction strategies, as well as build upon our knowledge place value understanding.
- FUNdations- This week we begin our new unit studying open syllables. This is a three week unit and will take us right up to the holiday break. Open syllables are syllables where the vowel is not closed in by a consonant and makes the long sound. ex: me, hi, no, shy. We also learn the rules about Y acting as a vowel. New trick words eight, large, change, city, every, family, night, carry, something.
- Science- We our continuing our quarter long unit on Matter. We will experiment to gain an understanding of the properties of solids, liquids, and gases.
- Social Studies- This quarter we will be learning about the roles and responsibilities of Governments and Citizens.