Comparison of world religion
- Started with the birth of Jesus in Jerusalem in 0 ad.
- There are two billion followers.
- it has one god. They have a set of Ten Commandments which guide their everyday life.
- One popular story from the religion is the story of Adam and Eve.
- Their beliefs where once spread by profits.
- They have a holy book called the bible.
- They have saints such as saint Thomas that they consider holy.
- They have a system in which the pope is the leader (Catholics)
- 820 million followers.
- Three main gods: brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva.
- It has no one main founder.
- No one book but does have sacred books like the Vedas.
- Leaders include: Guru, holy man, and Brahmin priest.
- One belief of Hinduism is that the soul never dies but is continually getting reborn.
- Started about 4000 years ago in India.
- Spread via the travels of merchants.
- Not known how it started.
- One basic belief is that the individual soul is immortal.
- One parable use in Hindu teaching is the blind men and an elephant
- One person/thing people belief is holy is a cow.
- It has a organization of four sects: shaiva, vaishnava, shakta, and smarta.
- 6.3 million followers.
- God named Confucius.
- Confucius also the founder.
- Holy book called the analects, or the five classics.
- It has no clergy.
- One basic belief would be that social order, had any and good government is dependent of strong family relationships.
- Spread through the "soft power" of civilizing influences directed abroad from the Chinese court.
- Less than 10 million people practice this religion.