Third Grade Weekly Update
February 19-23, 2018
February 22 - Expo - NISD's Showcase - all families welcome!
February 23 - Six Flags Read to Succeed Logs due
Elm Fork Field Trip
February 28 - Reading Benchmark Test
March 6 - Open House and Fine Arts Night from 5:00 – 6:30 pm
March 8 - Math Benchmark Test
Week of March 12th- Spring Break
April 10 and April 11- CLOSED Campus for STAAR Testing
April 14 - WatchDOGS “Daddy-Daughter Dance” will be at JES
What We Are Learning This Week
- What is area and perimeter?
- What are square units?
- How can I calculate area and perimeter?
Below is the multiplication song for students to learn their skip counting! This is a great song to listen to at night or in the car. Open it and save it for easy access!
We have our Module 8 Test on Thursday. Please see the pre-test below to study with your student this week!
**We are starting our biography projects this week. Your child will read a biography in class this week and this will be his/her person for our upcoming Night at the Museum to be performed during Open House, March 6th. More information will be coming home soon.**
- What are some similarities and differences between biographies and autobiographies?
- How do you make logical inferences?
- How do you find text evidence to support your inferences?
- What impact does genre have on the types of inferences you make?
- Test-taking genre: What do inference questions look like on a test?
- How do you prepare to write an expository text?
- What information do you need?
- What is an expository pillar?
- How do you draft an expository text?
- Review sheet sent home Wednesday.
- What are the proofs for they're, there, and their?
- Please review the vocabulary for the week with your child.
- Harriet Tubman DBQ
- Who is Harriet Tubman?
- What are 4 of Harriet Tubman's greatest achievements?
Box Top Contest – JES earns 10 cents for each Box Top. Our last check was $813.60!! The next contest will be by CLASS. The CLASS that brings the highest percentage of Box Tops will get to play a basketball game called “Hot Shot” with collegiate athlete, our Assistant Principal, Mrs. Oakley. Start sending them to school ASAP to get the competition rolling AND because some of the box tops expire in March (PTA will send those in early). Final deadline for class basketball contest is Friday, March 2nd.
- Expo is a district wide event that celebrates students learning from K-12, all subjects.
- Check out the 2018 Expo passport to encourage more student participation at presentations other than their own!
- Submissions can include demonstrations, presentations, or interactive experiences.
- This is a short, informational video that will help explain some of the changes to your teachers. Feel free to send it out if you if you think it will help clarify some changes.
Have you Ordered a JES Yearbook?
If you forgot, search your emails for firstname.lastname@example.org for a receipt of your online order. Yearbooks are over 72 pages of full color for only $17. Place orders at https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/index.cfm/jobSearch/displayHome Code = 20190
Deadline is April 1st.