Comparison of DNA
Peas compared to citrus fruits
Katie- I think there will be more DNA from the lemon than the peas because lemons have more juice and liquid which might effect the DNA somehow.
Lyndie- I think the lime will have more DNA because of the different toxins in the fruit compared to the vegetable and how the cell wall is to be broken up.
2) Blend handful peas/other organism with 1 cup water and 1 pinch salt
3) Strain and place in cup
4) Add a few drops of soap to cup. Let sit 5-10 minutes.
5) Add enzyme (meat tenderizer), stir softly
6) Transfer to test tube
7) Slowly add alcohol
8) Repeat with other organism.
9) Observe, compare, and record.
DNA of pea pods
DNA of citrus fruits
- Putting a different amount of concentration between peas/citrus fruits
- Temperature of water in mixture
- Putting alcohol in too fast
- How long you let the mixture sit before putting soap in
- Different amounts of soap/enzyme