IB Learner Profiles
September 2018 - June 2019
Character Education: Monthly IB Learner Profiles
In the upcoming school year, our 1B students will be demonstrating what it means to be: Caring, Risk Taker, Open Minded, Thinker, Reflective, Principled, Inquirer, Balanced, Communicator, Knowledgeable.
Sarai, Lucy, Amalie
Caring: "We are kind."
- I am kind and respectful.
- I think of others' feelings when I make choices.
- I take care of my classmates, my classroom, and my school.
- I notice how others feel and I try to have a positive impact on their day.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a caring student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of caring moments such as:
- Amelia - “Sarai is caring because when one of the 1B friends don’t have anyone to play with she asks them if she wants to play with them.
- Kino - “Because Lucy is really nice to me and we have fun together. She plays with me.”
- Isabel - “Amalie is caring because most of the time when people get hurt, she helps by asking if they are ok.”
Hannah, Isabel, Daniel
Risk takers: "We try new things."
- I am brave and courageous.
- I trust in myself and stand by my opinions and beliefs.
- I take on a challenge even though I may fail.
- I am willing to try new things without worrying about the outcome.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a risk taker student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of risk taker moments such as:
- Kylee - “Hannah because one day she never played with Magnatiles in a very long time and she played with me and she tried a new game.”
- Mason - “I think Isabel is a risk taker because I remember when she said that over the weekend, she tried a new drink."
- Noah: “Because usually sometimes Daniel does work even if it’s hard for him and he is not afraid to be wrong.”
Primo, Wyatt, Alyssa
Open-Minded: "We respect others."
I am understanding and value others’ thoughts.
I listen to the thoughts and ideas of others.
I value the similarities and differences of my peers.
I learn from other cultures, points of view, and traditions.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be an open-minded student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of open-minded moments such as:
- Alekzander - “Primo is nice to teachers and says nice things and he respects people.”
- Joshua - “Because Wyatt said to everyone to be open minded when he was talking about his favorite season and it’s winter and everyone was saying they liked different seasons.”
- Rhys - “I think Alyssa is open minded because even when she doesn’t want to play with someone she just plays with them.”
Nylah, Kino, Otis
Thinker: "We use our heads."
I am decisive.
I take action to solve problems and decide the best plan of action.
I use critical and creative thinking skills to find the best solution.
I make decisions that are in the best interest of others.
I help to solve problems.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a thinker student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of thinker moments such as:
- Lavie - "I think Nylah’s a thinker because sometimes when 1B sometimes doesn’t get things right like if they don’t know what 12 minus 11 is, but then Nylah sometimes counts in her head and she thinks alot about things and she really thinks."
- Sommer - "I think Kino is a thinker because at home she was thinking bout math and tally marks so she was like practicing like it’s actually school."
- Alyssa - "What makes me think that Otis is a thinker is because he thinks alot about learning."
Evlynn, Borisa, Alekzander
Reflective: "We find ways to be better."
- I am self-aware.
I think about my actions and feelings.
I can identify my strengths and see my mistakes as a chance to improve.
I am able to see how my choices will affect those around me.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a reflective student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of reflective moments such as:
- Hannah - “This morning at the blue table before the timer was up, Evlynn started cleaning up her mess. Before, she had trouble cleaning up and now she is cleaning up.”
- Lucy - “Yesterday Borisa was going to call out and say somebody else’s answer but she fixed it by not calling out.”
- Daniel - “Alekzander is trying to work on not putting his hands on people and skipping them in line. Keep it up Alekzander!”
Leila, Rhys, Ives
Principled: "We do the right thing."
- I am honest and fair.
I show respect to others and take responsibility for my own actions.
I tell the truth (even when it’s hard) and treat others with dignity.
I act with integrity and honesty.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a principled student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of principled moments such as:
- Scarlet - "Leila is principled because she’s kind, she listens and she always makes good choices and she makes good friends and she’s always nice and she always participates."
- Borisa - "Rhys is principled because every time you ask her to do something or you even think of something to do she just gets up and does it already. Sometimes she tells people to be quiet and that’s good thing."
- Mason - "I think Ives is principled because he doesn’t lie and he hasn’t done it once in school and he tells the truth and he makes the right choices."
Noah, Joshua, Sommer
Inquirer: "We ask questions."
- I am curious and an explorer.
I ask questions to better understand my surroundings.
I independently use my research and evaluating skills to find answers.
I have a love of learning that I share with others.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be an inquirer student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of inquirer moments such as:
- Evlynn - "Noah because he asks alot of questions in his Lit Block class and he wants to learn more stuff so he asks questions when we’re not there so he does alot of questions."
- Sarai - "Joshua is an inquirer because he asks questions and raises his hand alot."
- Leila - "I think Sommer is inquisitive because every time we have work after you explain it, she asks questions to make sure that she knows the exact thing to do. I think she is curious about the world!"
Balanced: "We look after ourselves and others."
- I am well-rounded.
- I make choices that take care of all of me.
- I grow my mind, take care of my body, and express my feelings.
- I am aware of my needs and balance my mind, body, and feelings.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a balanced student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of balanced moments such as:
- Amalie: "Amelia is serious when it comes to her job as the clean up announcer. When people aren’t putting their hands on top she taps them. She’s taking care of 1B because some people are putting their hands on top and some people aren’t."
- Ryu: "Sometimes when the teachers say to be quiet sometimes Beckett tells his friends to be quiet. It’s being balanced because he’s thinking about himself learning and other people."
Mason, Scarlett, Kylee
Communicator: "We share our ideas."
- I am a speaker and a listener.
- I use my words and actions to share my thinking.
- I consider other perspectives.
- I share and receive ideas and information in more than one way.
- I collaborate well with others, by listening and speaking, to help find solutions.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a communicator student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of communicator moments such as:
- Ives: "I think Mason has been a communicator because he shares his ideas like at art he talks to different people and he makes stuff and it’s very cool. He communicated with me at choice time when he says “let’s make some cool stuff in legos” and I like what he makes."
- Nylah: "I think Scarlett has been a communicator because whenever she has a question she doesn’t call out and she raises her hand and she tells people what she doesn’t like and she gives speeches to the class."
- Rhys: "I think Kylee is a communicator because sometimes when she’s sad she comes to me and also sometimes when she’s very angry she tells me and I send her to the teacher. When we’re talking she says 'let’s play games with the teachers or people that are nice' and I like that."
Knowledgeable: "We know lots of things."
- I am informed.
- I know about the world and am curious about new topics and ideas.
- I make connections between what I know and new information.
- I share a love of learning with others. I know there are many more things to learn.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a knowledgeable student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of knowledgeable moments such as:
- Otis - "I think Lavie is knowledgeable because he knows lots of things and doesn’t play around with his friends."
- Wyatt - "Ryu knows alot of things and knows times and more than times and a lot of minus. Basically, he knows like alot of math. He raises his hand alot."