News From the Ridge
May 22, 2022
The Sunset Ridge Community will provide a safe and caring place for all children to grow and believe in themselves as learners and individuals.
Office main line: 913-239-7400
May Hero Trait: I got this! Look for someone that has shown a growth mindset this year and you know that they ‘got this’.
It's time to register for the 22-23 school year
Register for the 2022-23 school year today.
Elementary school registration for the 2022-23 school year is open and online now for current students. Registration is required annually and is the time to update your child’s information and pay fees. Completing registration and paying fees now confirms that your child will attend school in August. Thank you for providing important information and parent permissions as part of the registration process. For more information about registration, visit www.bluevalleyk12.org/registration.
No lunch on the last day of school
Kansas assessment ( Grades 3-5)
Hi, Parents & Guardians.
I hope this email finds you well. Scores have recently become available for the Kansas State Assessments taken in Spring 2022. This year’s scores will be accessed online through the “KITE Parent Portal”, and I have attached a help sheet that can help you view your student’s scores.
Students participated in the following state assessments this year:
ELA – Students in grades 3-8, 10
Math – Students in grades 3-8, 10
Science – Students in grades 5, 8, 11
*NOTE #1: If your student is a sophomore, the math results will not be available until the fall. This year’s test was new, so the state has a score-setting process to go through before releasing scores.
*NOTE #2: Historical data is also viewable. However, due to the physical closure of schools in Spring 2020, there were no state assessments in 2020.
Thank you for taking an active interest in your student’s education.
Director of Academic Achievement & Accountability
2-5 grade MAP results will come home this week. Here is the letter to explain these scores.
Fourth Quarter Report Card Reminder
End of Quarter Information - Viewing Canvas Courses and Fourth Quarter Grades
At the end of each quarter, courses in Canvas will conclude and will no longer be visible on the Canvas app and website. Courses for this year’s fourth quarter will conclude on May 23rd. Report cards will be generated and families will be able to view second quarter grades on ParentVUE at the end of the day on June 1, 2022.
How do I view my child’s report card?
Log in on ParentVue
Select your elementary student’s name
In the left navigation bar, choose REPORT CARD
If you have questions about Standards Based Grading as you view your child’s report card, please review the information found on the Elementary Report Card resource page.
Each new quarter, classroom teachers will publish their next quarter Canvas course. As courses are published, students and families will again be able to see current courses on the Canvas app and Canvas website. For Canvas parent resources, visit www.bluevalleyk12.org/canvas.
Important information about Fentanyl
Although we haven't been touched by this at SRE, it’s important for families to be aware of national and state steep upward trends regarding fentanyl use, purposefully or accidentally, in children and adolescents.
In Blue Valley, families can talk with their school mental health providers if they are concerned about their child’s substance use. Other community resources are Johnson County Mental Health Adolescent Center for Treatment and First Call. For more information on fentanyl, visit https://www.songforcharlie.org/ or https://www.dea.gov/resources/facts-about-fentanyl
Message from the Nurse
1. Medication Pick up Information: If your child took medication at school or has an EpiPen, inhaler, or any other medical prescription/device, these items must be picked up by May 24th by 4PM. If the medication is NOT a controlled substance, with your permission, I can send with your child on the last day of school. Controlled substances MUST be picked up by an adult. Any medication the remains at school after May 24th will be properly disposed of and destroyed.
2. Planning for Next Year: here are the standard items needed for the upcoming 22/23 school year. All forms can be found on our school website at https://www.bluevalleyk12.org/domain/5070
3. Immunizations: a copy of updated immunizations. More information on required vaccines for school attendance can be found at http://www.kdheks.gov or through your healthcare provider. If exempt from immunizations for medical or religious reasons, written documentation MUST be provided to the school nurse.
4. Online registration: please update current health conditions, allergies, or critical alert information. Please remove/delete any conditions that are no longer an issue for the child or the child is no longer being followed by a physician for such conditions.
5. Health conditions: If your child has a health condition requiring an Action Care Plan (asthma, food allergies, seizures, diabetes) I will need the form filled out by their physician. New forms are required each school year. The doctor office may use their own form or use the link above to download forms from the Sunset Ridge website.
6. If your child will be taking medication at school please provide the Prescription Medication Form. The medication MUST be in the original prescription bottle. If the medication is a controlled substance, policy requires an adult to bring medication and refills to school.
7. As always, don’t hesitate to call or email with any questions you have regarding medications, forms needed, etc.
From past updates
Online scheduling and registration now available for COVID-19 Testing
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in-person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs offers a local COVID-19 testing option available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
New! Online Scheduling and Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now can accept online appointments and registrations.
- Step 1: Book an appointment online (up to 6 people per appointment/car)
- Step 2: If you have not done so already, create an online account for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete a form for the child needing COVID-19 testing and submit. Create forms for additional household members by clicking “Add Individual.”
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 and leave a message if you have questions. Calls will be returned in the order received.
- Due to the high volume of testing, only current household members of Blue Valley students and staff are eligible to test at the MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic: 14950 Newton Drive, Overland Park, KS 66223 (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley School District Campus)
- Hours of Operation
- Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Inclement Weather Schedule
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
- MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will operate on regular hours if there is an emergency closing for other reasons, such as high staff or transportation absences.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Bus Tracker & Textcaster Information for Families
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.