Miss Lotter's Leaders
Parent Newsletter March 21-March 25
We are in the final stretch before EOG testing in May. We are 37 school days away from "the tests" with 2 of those being spent in Raleigh and 1 of those being field day. You can help prepare your child by making sure they are on time to school each day, they have eaten a balanced breakfast or are prepared to get food in the cafeteria, they are well rested each day and have all of their materials. You can also help by encouraging students to build stamina and endurance at home by reading silently in one space for extended periods of time.
Next week we head to Raleigh on Thursday morning (please be here by 6:30am!!!) and will return on Friday evening! Students will get their room assignments on Friday afternoon of this week. These room assignments are set in stone and we cannot change them.
PEEK AT THE WEEK!
Math: In math this week, we are continuing our unit on decimals. We will be having a mid-unit test on Friday! Study guides will go home on Wednesday, April 6th.
Language Arts: We will continue accountability in daily five this week! Each day, the students will track their choices and what they accomplished during each round. Students will have the option to listen to reading, read to self, work on words, and work on writing.
-We will be focusing on how to write a well-developed paragraph, which will lead to the students writing an opinion essay.
In writing, we will learning all about the technical side of writing with grammar!
Social Studies: We are exploring change in NC geography and environment through transportation, landscape, communication, & education.
RALEIGH FIELD TRIP INFORMATION!
If your child needs to take or might need to take medication with them on the Raleigh trip you MUST have this form signed by a doctor and turn in with the appropriate medication to Ms. Locke or Ms. Lotter, hopefully prior to the trip. This information was shared at the parent meeting the week prior to spring break. If you have questions about what is considered a medication, please contact me.
Students will not be permitted to use technology on the trip. There will be no texting to check in, calling (they do get to call one time before bed), social media, apps, music or other things that students can do on cell phones or tablets. We do this in order to protect all students and ensure that students are actively engaged in their trip. If you would like updates about how the trip is going, please follow us on Twitter at @CLXlotter. I will post when we arrive, pictures and updates as we journey through NC History and Science!
- Wednesday, April 6, through Friday, April 8, 5th grade in Washington, D.C.
- Sunday, April 10, ACS Art Show at the YMI Cultural Center from 4:00-6:00
- Monday, April 11, 2nd grade performs at the Orange Peel at 9:15
- Thursday, April 14, & Friday, April 15, 4th grade trip to Raleigh, NC
- Friday, April 15, Summer School Forms due
- Saturday, April 16, Claxton Grounds Workday
- Saturday, April 16, ACSF Celebration of Champions at Crown Plaza
- Monday, April 18, Class Pictures and Individual Student Pictures
- Monday, April 18, Last Day of After School Arts-Spring Session
- Tuesday, April 19, Whole Child Forum at Central Office 5:15 until 6:15
- Thursday, April 21, late play practice with pizza
- Friday, April 22, lunch provided by Claxton PTO
- Thursday, April 28, ACS Battle of the Books
- Thursday, April 28, Family Voices/Community Outreach at the Grant Center 5:30-7:00
- Fri., April 29, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 6:00 pm
Sat., April 30, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 6:00 pm
Sun., May 1, Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 1:30 am
- Monday, May 2, through Friday, May 6, Teacher Appreciation Week
- Tuesday, May 3, Faculty Meeting at 3:30 in the media centeR
- Tuesday, May 10, ACS Teacher Recruitment Fair at Central Office 2pm until 5pm
- Saturday, May 14, 5K for the Boys Running Group
- Monday, May 16, through Friday, May 20, EOG Spirit Week
- Thursday, May 19, Potluck of Learning & Community Drum Circle from 5:30-8:00
- Friday, May 20, Spring Book Fair begins
- EOG Tests May 24-June 7
- Monday, June 6, Kindergarten registration
- Tuesday, June 7, K Graduation
- Wednesday, June 8, 5th Graduation at 9:00
- Thursday, June 9, Required Workday
- Monday, June 13, through Friday, June 17, EOG remediation & retesting