3L Weekly News
Week Ending March 6, 2015
Here's a sneak peak from Read Across America Week!
3L Teams Up With PM Kindergarten
This Week In...
Reading: we spent time participating Daily 5 activities such as read to self and read with a partner. We reviewed our comprehension quizzes on Aero and Officer Mike. Additionally, we worked on demonstrating our comprehension of the story by responding (Dig Deep) to questions associated with the text. In class, we worked on answering all parts of these questions, elaborating, citing specific text evidence, and writing in complete sentences and capitalization.
Math: this week we found equivalent fractions by comparing and discussing fractions. We compared fractions using region models. Students have fraction cards at school they are permitted to bring home to help with comparing fractions. Finally, we spent time working on Open-Ended multi-step word problems. I'm so proud of how the students worked and persevered through these activities!
Check This Out!
Since we have SO MANY students interested in Legos, I thought this would be great to share with you! The Franklin Institute has an exhibit called Ben Brick's House. It's a "A LEGO-filled design-and-play area." Be sure to check it out! More information can be found on the link below.
1. Moby Max: This is a great enrichment tool for Math and Language Arts.
2. Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
3rd Grade Fundraiser:
- Here's the link to sign up for the 3rd grade fundraiser. THANK YOU to the parents who have already volunteered. :-) The kids are really looking forward to this activity. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0448aca82fa7f58-fourth
- If students forget their Journeys Textbook, it can be accessed through thinkcentral.com. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed through everydaymathonline.com. The login information is also in the front of your child's Agenda book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
- We will have our spelling assessment on Monday, March 9, 2015.
- It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
- Please continue to assist your child in packing up all homework in order to ensure it comes back to school. A great strategy is to have your child check off each assignment after it is completed and placed back in his/her Take Home Folder.
Important Dates for 3L
Happy Birthday to:
• Please check our eBoard and contact me if your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday in school.
Poet of the Week:
• Zach: Friday, March 13, 2015
• Poems must be submitted for teacher approval before a student presents!!
Star of the Week:
• Ava T: Monday, March 9
• Jill and David Kastenberg Friday, March 13 @ 8:40
• Schedule is attached to my eBoard under Guest Read Aloud
*Click the link below to my eBoard for additional details!
Central School Events
March 13, 2015 Mom’s March Madness
March 16-20, 2015 PARCC Testing Grades 3-5
March 18, 2015 PTA Meeting 7:30 pm
Specials This Week
Monday is a Day 6:
• Gym and PJ DAY!
Tuesday is a Day 1:
• Spanish and Music
Wednesday is a Day 2:
• Gym and Library
Thursday is a Day 3:
Friday is a Day 4:
• Spanish and Strings