CALVIN PARK UPDATE
Week of December 14-18, 2020
DAILY COVID-19 SCREENING
Together, we will do our best to keep children, adults and our community safe.
THIS WEEK AT CALVIN PARK
At this time of year, families sometimes wish to send in treats to share or gifts for classmates or staff. Due to the concerns around the pandemic this year, these items are not permitted in the school. We thank you for your generosity and look forward to returning to more "normal" times!
Monday, December 14
- Door Decorating Challenge Begins!
- Rainbow Colours Spirit Day - dress in your brightest most colourful clothing!
- Minute-To-Win-It Cohort Challenge continues!
Tuesday, December 15
Sweater Day - wear a favourite sweater that shows your spirit!
Minute-To-Win-It Cohort Challenge continues!
Virtual LDSB Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) Meeting 4:00-5:00 pm (see notice below)
Wednesday, December 16
Plaid and Camo Day - wear plaid or camo or both!
- Minute-To-Win-It Cohort Challenge continues!
Thursday, December 17
- Pajama Day - no explanation needed!!
- Minute-To-Win-It Cohort Challenge continues!
Friday, December 18
- Red/White/Green Spirit Day - together we can make a sea of red, green and white!
- Minute-To-Win-It Cohort Challenge Winners announced!
- Door Decorating Winners announced!
December 21-January 1 Winter Holidays
January 4 First day of school in 2021!
SCHOOL PICTURE ORDERS
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FROM THE OFFICE
- Due to Covid-19 health protocols, non-essential visitors aren't allowed in the school at this time. If you need to drop something off for your child or pick up your child during the school day, please call the office to let us know. When you arrive at the front of the school, please do not come into the school. Please call us to let us know and we will meet you outside or send your child down to meet you.
- If your child will be arriving late to school, please report their absence as usual using the SafeArrival app, phone number, or the link on our website. When your child arrives at school, when they check in at the office, we will change their absence to a late arrival. All students who arrive late to school must check in at the office before going to their classroom to ensure that we know that they have arrived.
- A reminder that all communication about early pick up or alternate end of day arrangements come through our office rather than families directly texting their child. Also, if your child is feeling unwell, please remind them that their first step is to let their teacher or the office staff know so that we are aware and can contact you. All students must check in at the office and sign out before exiting the building. It is very important that these procedures are followed to ensure that we keep our students safe during the school day.
GRADE 8 - 9 TRANSITION INFORMATION
Our Grade 8 students will have the opportunity to learn more about LDSB secondary schools through virtual presentations from the Student Success Teams at each high school. Secondary Schools have also organized virtual Grade 9 Information Nights for students and parents/guardians. Students will be automatically transferred to their home secondary school based on their current home elementary school. You can locate your child’s home secondary school by going to https://triboard.mybusplanner.ca/Eligibility and entering your home address under the School Eligibility tab. Students who wish to attend an alternate LDSB school than their home secondary school need to contact the other secondary school directly.
Our students will be guided through course selection and registration through the online tool, "myBlueprint" in early January. Many of our students are already familiar with this tool and can login at home to look at their account. Students who are currently remote learning will be receiving a letter from their virtual classroom teacher that outlines the transition process in the Virtual Elementary School. Families can visit the website of each secondary school or the links below for more information!
LDSB SECONDARY SCHOOLS TRANSITION INFORMATION FOR GRADE 8 STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
LCVI More information for Grade 8 students and families can be found on the LCVI Student Services website: www.lcvistudentservices.com
LCVI "Choices at 9" AP and AAEP Programs
Applications are due before January 14th.
Kingston Secondary School (from December 2) Link to the recorded presentation can be found at: Grade 9 Information
IB Program at KSS Link to the presentation recording can be found here. Applications are due before January 14th.
Bayridge Secondary School More information for Grade 8 students and families can be found at: https://sites.google.com/limestone.on.ca/bssgrade8virtualhome
Sydenham High School - starting Monday, December 7, families will be able to access a recorded presentation at this link: Sydenham HS Grade 9 Virtual Presentation Individual questions can be answered by contacting Student Services to arrange a Virtual Meeting.
Lasalle Intermediate and Secondary School - All parent information will be located on the Lasalle website. A “Welcome to students and Parents/Guardians” video will be on the website the week of Jan. 4, 2021.
Napanee District Secondary School - Live virtual parent/family session will be held during the first week of January, 2021.
We will post information from the other LDSB secondary schools as we receive it.
CALVIN PARK SCHOOL ADVISORY COUNCIL
Co-Chairs: Claudine Elvidge, Krystle Holton
Secretary/Treasurer: Sarah Phinney
SCHOOL COUNCIL FUNDRAISER
The Calvin Park School Council is inviting you to join our campaign to raise funds to purchase print material to diversify each classroom library. Calvin Park wants to ensure that all students value diversity, demonstrate respect for others and see themselves reflected in the reading material accessible to them in their school.
You can get involved by donating books or providing the school with book title suggestions that emphasize equity, inclusion and diversity, such as books with main characters from different racial backgrounds or LBGTQ2+ youth. You may also choose to offer a monetary donation to go towards purchasing new books.
We are also running two fundraisers, one through Indigo Books and another through Flipgive.
How does it work?
Purchase through Indigo online or FlipGive and the school will receive cash back with every purchase. For example, through Indigo online, if you purchase Indigo gift cards, the school receives 15% of the value of your gift card. Through FlipGive, shop online at many retailers and the school receives a percentage of the value of your purchase.
Buy groceries, shop on Amazon, buy gifts for the holidays - all of your usual shopping - and the school will receive cash back at no additional cost!
Where can I start?
Go to Indigo Fundraising at https://indigofundraising.flipgive.com/teams/
Search for Calvin Park Public School (under All or Elementary School)
Select our school and Join using Team Code S5CLWD
Go to where you join an existing FlipGive Team https://www.flipgive.com/teams/join
Enter the Calvin Park Team Code 32C6HZ
Thank you for supporting this School Council initiative and bringing our school community together to improve your child's class library. Please share the links with your family and friends.
Request for Expressions of Interest for Indigenous SAC Representative Position
The Calvin Park School Council wants to reflect our school community and the perspectives and voices of the people within it. To open the door for more diversity on the executive, and around the council table, a position for an Indigenous SAC Representative is available.
· BYLAW reference:
8(H). INDIGENOUS FAMILY REPRESENTATIVE
This representative will ideally bring Indigenous teachings, perspectives and voice to the School Advisory Council (SAC) table, to assist all families and staff to collaboratively work toward a renewed nation-to-nation relationship with Indigenous peoples based on recognition of rights, respect, co-operation and partnership. This representative will be asked to represent and celebrate the richness of Indigenous cultures and diversity of the Indigenous presence in our community.
Please let us know if you are an Indigenous parent/guardian/grandparent of an Indigenous student interested in this position. Please email or call the school with your interest, or with any questions you may have, and your contact information will be passed on to the School Council Co-Chairs. We’re looking forward to filling this position and continuing our journey to become a more equitable and representative Advisory Council.
WINTER WEATHER REMINDERS
- Winter weather is coming! Please make sure that students are dressed appropriately for cold, wet weather. In addition, boots and splash pants/snow pants are recommended because the yards are getting muddy and wet. We will continue to go outside as much as possible!
- As the weather gets colder, students will likely begin using the gym more frequently for low to moderate physical education classes, on the days that they can't go outside. Students will need to have clean INDOOR SHOES to wear in the gym and in their classroom.
- In addition, as the weather gets colder, students will likely need multiple masks with them each day - we are already noticing that the masks get soiled and wet when we come inside after outdoor activities. In addition, students are required to wear a mask during physical education activities in the gym so they will likely need a clean mask at the end of indoor phys ed class. The Health Unit recommends that clean masks be stored in clean plastic bags or a clean container with a lid. Cloth masks should be washed each evening.
BUS TRANSPORTATION AND WINTER WEATHER
LOOKING FOR MORE INFORMATION?
Please continue to check these Limestone District School Board platforms for the most up-to-date information from our Board.
LDSB Website https://www.limestone.on.ca/
LDSB Twitter: https://twitter.com/LimestoneDSB
LDSB Facebook https://tinyurl.com/wbhjtku
LDSB Instagram https://instagram.com/limestonedsb/
In addition, please follow our:
Calvin Park Twitter account: @CalvinPark_LDSB or https://twitter.com/CalvinPark_LDSB
Calvin Park Website: https://calvinpark.limestone.on.ca/
Calvin Park Public School Office: (613) 542-2796
Mrs. Christine LeClair, Office Administrator
Mrs. Elizabeth Suriyuth, Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Wilma Pettingill, Vice-Principal: email@example.com