Your Teen Has Feelings Too!
What parents need to know about their teens.
Parents, don't worry! You can help!
Don't feel bad parents, it is probably not your fault. Depression can be caused by numerous things. It may be hereditary, so if depression runs in your family, so be sure to communicate well with your teen. It can also be caused by environmental factors, such as sense of failure, end of a relationship, or a recent divorce.
Communication helps everything!
Let them know, they are not alone!
- Girls are twice as likely as boys to develop depression.
- 1 out of 8 adolescence are diagnosed with depression.
- In the United States, approximately 5,000 kids who suffer from depression commit suicide.
- Don't let this be your child, talking with them can give you insight into whats going on in their life!
Routes to a depression free teen
- Communicate with you teen, be interested in what they are going through.
- Seek professional advice.
- Numerous self-help and therapy groups.
- Be a positive role model.
- Influence your teen to be active and involved.
Source: Adolescent Depression, Carwile Brandi J., Dept. of Psychology, Northern Illinois University