iPad Workshop Notes
Key points from Session with Kelly Harmon
5 Key Strategies for Using Tablets with Your Students
- Use technology to sync up with your students.
- Use technology to teach.
- Use technology tools for assessment.
- Use technology for processing and practising.
- Use technology tools for authentically rigorous presentations.
**QR Codes - save time and keep learners safe!
- Using technology for technology sake.
- Not knowing the application well enough.
- Not having "Plan B" in case the tech has an issue.
- Using tablets as a reward.
- Using apps that are not aligned to grade level outcomes.
- Using the tablets as "busy work".
- Choosing apps that require students to have an account.
- Choosing free apps that expose children to advertisements.
Kelly recommends picking one to two apps to begin with and to use them at least five times so that they stick with you.
- www.smore.com - use to make webpages, newsletters, lessons, presentations, etc. (Application used to create this!)
- www.backchannelchat.com - classroom discussion tool, simple and teacher controlled
- Edmodo - classroom discussion and assessment tool
- Nearpod.com - Interactive lessons
- Zaption.com - provides interactive video tools for creating flip lessons
- Padlet - a virtual bulletin board for creating and collaborating with students ($)
Tools for Student Presentations and Products:
- Explain Everything
- Shadow Puppet EDU (highly recommended) - combine pictures and videos, add music and text, search engines within the apps, narrate your story, saves to camera role, share productions, lesson plan ideas
- AudioBoom.com (iPad)
- Fisher Price Storybook Set - **fabulous app to foster language development...she said it would be the best gift you can ever give a baby
- Newsela - makes it easy for an entire class to read the same content, but at a level that's just right for each student, free for teachers
- Tweentribune - daily news site for kids (www.tweentribune.com for gr.5-8 and www.tweentribune.com/junior for K-4)
- Tumblebooks - also online
- Raz Kids - $$
- Epic Books - free for teachers
Reader's Theatre Websites:
- http://www.thebestclass.org/rtscripts.html. **
Web-based Graphic Organizers:
- Circle Map
- Compare and Contrast Map
- Story Map
- Plot Diagram
- Story Cube
- Fact Fragment Frenzy
- K-W-L Creator
- Comic Creator
Making Math Meaningful with Engaging Web Resources and Apps
Illuminations.nctm.org ****highly recommend, has both web apps and tablet apps)
- Draw and Tell
- Deep Sea Duel
- Pick a path
- Okta's Rescue
- Equivalent Fractions
- Dynamic Paper
- Adjustable Spinner
- Five Frame
- Ten Frame
- Graphing and Grazing (PK-2)
- Factors Game
- Product Game
- Fractions Game
Math Learning Center Apps:
- Math Vocabulary Cards
- Number Frames
- Number Line
- Number Pieces
- Number Pieces Basic
- Number Rack
- Pattern Shapes