Element of Art: LINE
Notes and Examples of how to Illustrate Line
A line is the path of a point moving in space.
Artists use different types of lines to convey different information:
- Horizontal lines appear peaceful & calm
- Vertical lines appear strong & powerful
- Diagonal lines suggest movement & excitement
- Curved lines appear to be flowing or moving in a graceful way
- Zig Zag lines create tension or confusion
Line Quality: the special character of any line
- thick or thin
- smooth or rough
- continuous or broken
Historical Example 1
Artist unknown, Chinese Horse, ca. 15,000-13,000 B.C. Axial Gallery at Lascaux, Dordogne, France.
Historical Example 2
Gil Mayers, Time Piece.
Historical Example 3
Piet Mondrian, 1921.