Advisor Update October 2018
This newsletter contains the Advisor Update and the SkillsUSA Flash!
2018-2019 Membership Dues
- Student: $14.00 = $8.00 (national) and $6.00 (state)
- Professional: $26.00 = $20.00 (national) and $6.00 (state)
- NEW THIS YEAR! - All advisors MUST be professional members of SkillsUSA in order for their students to participate in any SkillsUSA activities!
2018-2019 Membership Registration Deadlines
November 15, 2018 is the deadline for your initial membership registration to be submitted to the National Office to be able to receive all four issues of Champions Magazine and free teacher items. All rosters are to be submitted online at http://www.skillsusa-register.org/. Schools are encouraged join by November 15, 2018 in order to ensure full membership services for the year.
January 15, 2019 is the deadline for your final membership registration to be submitted to the National Office. All students must be paid members of SkillsUSA Michigan by January 15, 2019 in order to participate in regional, state and national competitions and/or conferences. If you have any questions/concerns about this deadline, please contact me!
All membership registrations must be submitted online at http://www.skillsusa-register.org/. Paper rosters are discouraged. Please make sure that all membership checks are sent directly to the National Office. When registering, be sure to also register your section under the specific program name, not just Mixed Training. This information is very helpful to the national office in determining what programs are at what schools.
SkillsUSA Michigan is encouraging each chapter to increase their membership this year. Each chapter that submits their membership by the due date listed below will qualify for the following incentive(s). Membership must be submitted online at www.skillsusa-register.org by the due dates in order to meet the requirements.
State Incentive: Membership Increase by January 15, 2019
- For every five member increase over last year’s membership, the chapter will receive one entry into the drawing for a SkillsUSA blazer, a $99 value.
- Both student and professional members are included in the chapter’s total membership.
- Drawing will be held at the State Leadership and Skills Conference in April.
National Incentive: Membership Submitted by November 15, 2018
- As a special membership incentive, register at least 15 student members in your training program plus one or more professionals by Nov. 15, and you will receive a free educational resource item, The Four Pillars (value $4.95).
- Instructors who register with 100-percent membership plus one or more professionals will also receive a SkillsUSA Program of Work calendar (value: $5.95).
2018 New Advisor Workshop
SkillsUSA Michigan is pleased to offer assistance in establishing your chapter by holding a New Advisor Workshop on October 16, 2018, at Eastern Michigan University in Ypsilanti. This workshop is for teachers who have been a SkillsUSA advisor for 2 years or less. There is a $40.00 registration fee per participant. The fee will cover lunch, materials, useful resources for new chapters. Register on our web site at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/. Registration deadline is October 8, 2018.
2018 Fall Leadership and Professional Development Conference
The Fall Leadership and Professional Development Conference is a great way to kick off your year and to motivate your members to have a great year with SkillsUSA Michigan. The conference is a combination of team building activities and breakout sessions on SkillsUSA with special professional development sessions specifically for advisors. The early registration fee for the conference is $30.00 per participant (students and advisors) and includes registration materials, and lunch.
The Fall Leadership Conference is November 5, 2018 at the Lansing Center in Lansing. Registration is as follows. More information is available at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/. Faxed or mailed forms will not be accepted!
- Early Registration deadline – October 12, 2018
- Final Registration deadline – October 26, 2018
FLC State Officer Assistants
NEW – Students that have at least one full year remaining in their career & technical training program and are interested in running for state office for the 2019-2020 school year are invited to assist at the Fall Leadership Conference. This opportunity will give the state officer assistants a chance to see what is involved in being a state officer. If you have an interested student, please register them as a state officer assistant and more information will be sent to you.
State officer assistants:
- Will assist the current state officers in one of the morning breakout sessions.
- Will have the opportunity to eat lunch and talk with the current state officers.
- Must wear official dress.
2019 Intent to Compete Form
If your school intends to compete in 2019, please fill out the 2019 Intent to Compete form! This form is a critical component of the planning and scheduling of regional and state competitions. The deadline is October 31, 2018. This form is now electronic and failure to return this form via email by the due date may result in your school not being allowed to compete in some events, or some events not being offered on the regional and/or state level. It is available on our web site at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/.
SkillsUSA Night with the Detroit Pistons
SkillsUSA Michigan members will have a one of a kind opportunity to meet professionals who work behind the scenes for the Detroit Pistons on December 7, 2018. Guest speakers will cover many aspects of the industry including marketing, sales, communications, public relations, internships and more. At the end of the day members will be guests of Little Caesars Arena as they watch the Detroit Pistons. Register early to ensure that your chapter members won’t miss out on this awesome opportunity. The registration form is available at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/ and is due November 2018.
2019 State National Anthem Contest
A SkillsUSA Michigan member will be selected to sing the National Anthem acapella at the Friday Opening General Session on April 5, 2019 at the State Conference. Interested members must submit an audition file of them singing the National Anthem in order to be considered. Student must be a current member of SkillsUSA Michigan and must pay the State Conference registration fee. Only individual entries are allowed, no groups.
All audition files must be posted via the online form available at http://miskillsusa.org/advisors/forms/no later than January 11, 2019. Audition files received after this date will not be considered.
SkillsUSA Michigan reserves the right to not have a student sing the National Anthem if it is deemed that there are no qualified entries submitted by the due date.
Registration is Open — Enjoy the Benefits of Professional Membership
The SkillsUSA registration site is officially open for the new school year. If you need assistance with SkillsUSA membership or registration, hotline operators are ready to answer questions about starting a new chapter, ways to engage chapter members or strategies to strengthen an existing chapter. Operators are on call 8 a.m.-5 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday; and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday (Eastern time). To reach the hotline, call 844-875-4557 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also chat online on the membership registration site.
Professional members receive these great benefits:
- 2018-19 SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards. The latest edition will be available by Oct. 1. The official competition guide for the SkillsUSA Championships contains rules for all national competitive events, including an overview, lists of technical skills and knowledge required, clothing requirements, eligibility and equipment lists. Note: Because of the constant need for updates, both the latest SkillsUSA Championships contest updates and the official SkillsUSA Championships scorecards are located online here.
- Jump into STEM! Curriculum includes middle-school and elementary-school STEM career exploration activities that can be taught by high-school members. This is a great opportunity to expose students to STEM careers and recruit for career and technical education programs as well as SkillsUSA.
- SkillsUSA Career Essentials: Foundations. This complete curriculum includes 29 lesson plans that support the SkillsUSA Framework and prepare students for workplace success. Career Essentials: Foundations is the first building block in the suite of products offered through the SkillsUSA Career Essentials.
SkillsUSA professional members receive all of these materials when they submit membership along with a valid email address. The 2018-19 SkillsUSA Championships Technical Standards and other materials are provided through a digital delivery system. National dues for professional members are $20 plus state dues, which vary. The complete listing of 2018-19 state dues and deadlines is online or in the mailed membership kits.
Becoming a professional member of SkillsUSA is one of the best ways to demonstrate to students the importance of joining a professional organization and the opportunities that membership will provide.
Check Out New Educational Resources
The 2018-2019 SkillsUSA Educational Resources Catalog has been mailed. No additional catalogs will be mailed during the 2018-19 school year. To shop online, go to: www.skillsusa.org/store/
For a PDF of the catalog, visit: www.skillsusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2018-2019-SkillsUSA-Ed-Resources-Catalog.pdf
Resources for New Perkins Law Available
President Trump recently signed into law H.R. 2353, the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act, the bill that reauthorizes the 2006 Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act. We now have a new law governing the federal investment in CTE. Our friends at the Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) and Advance CTE have done a great job of sharing information and resources as the new legislation moved forward.
Now that the dust is settling, you may wonder what is different. ACTE has provided the following resources for Perkins, including a recorded webinar that highlights changes from prior legislation, definitions of key terms, accountability indicators, state and local planning, and more. ACTE resources are at these links:
- Summary of the new law: www.acteonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/AdvanceCTE_ACTE_P.L.115-224Summary_Updated080618.pdf
- Press statement on enactment: www.acteonline.org/press-releases/acte-advance-cte-statement-upon-signing-of-perkins-cte-reauthorization/
- Perkins V recorded webinar Aug. 2: https://youtu.be/hBIvziHgYyg
- Perkins V resources can be found on Advance CTE’s Perkins webpage: https://careertech.org/Perkins
- Career and technical education communications tools and resources can be found on Advance CTE’s website here: https://careertech.org/recruitmentstrategies
If you have questions on the new law after viewing these materials, email email@example.com with the subject line “Perkins V Question.”
Plan Now to Participate in Manufacturing Day
Manufacturing Day is a celebration of modern manufacturing meant to inspire the next generation of manufacturers. Manufacturing Day occurs on the first Friday in October. While Manufacturing Day is officially Oct. 5, SkillsUSA chapters can plan events on any date in October that works best. Events for students can include a plant tour, a virtual tour, an event on your campus that highlights manufacturing, and more.
SkillsUSA chapters are asked to share Manufacturing Day photos and stories with communications specialist Hayley Uffelman at firstname.lastname@example.org. For resources, or to find events in your area, go to: www.mfgday.com.
Help is Only a Call, Email or Chat Away!
Everyone needs a little help now and then. Let the SkillsUSA Membership Hotline operators help you solve your problems. Hotline operators are ready to answer your questions on how to start a new chapter, engage chapter members and strengthen an existing chapter. Operators are on call from 8 a.m.–5 p.m. (Eastern time) Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from 11 a.m.–7 p.m. (Eastern) Tuesday and Thursday. Call the hotline toll free: 844-875-4557.
Don’t have time to call? Send the operators an email at email@example.com or chat with them online at the membership registration site.