Monte the Tiger's Weekly Update
News from Buena Vista Montessori ~ January 21, 2022
Hello Tiger Families!
Hello Tiger Families!
What a wonderful week here at BV.
Our Upper Elementary students have been working so hard to prepare for their production of Pirates of Penzance . Today all of their preparation came to fruition when they performed this lively show to our school community. There was lots of laughter, joy, singing, and dancing! Thank you to Ms. LaShele and all of the parents that helped to put this show together. The process of producing this show will create lasting memories!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
Montessori Moment - Art with Mr. Bakken
School Highlight - Simon
We are very excited to introduce you to a new staff member... Simon the therapy dog. Simon is a certified therapy dog that will be working with Miss Carrie in a variety of ways to support our BV family. Simon is an almost 3-year-old Sheepdog/poodle mix (Sheep-a-doodle) that has been working toward his therapy dog certification since he arrived in Miss Carrie's home at 8 weeks old. Simon will be at BV several mornings each week to support students with social skills, emotional regulation, academics, and much more. Concerned about allergies or your child's fear of dogs? Please contact Miss Carrie (email@example.com) to discuss accommodations for your child.
COVID Case Notification Letter Update
“Families, Due to the increases in COVID-19 cases within our community, and in alignment with EPCPH’s revised school guidance we will temporarily suspend sending individual COVID case notifications letters. Families should continue to monitor their students wellbeing and keep anyone home experiencing symptoms. We also ask that you continue to notify the school of any positive cases within the home so we can take the appropriate actions as we work to keep in-person learning a priority.”
Parent Survey: Intent to Return to Buena Vista for the 22/23 School Year
Please respond by January 31st to secure your currently enrolled child’s/children’s spot(s) for next year!
We are so glad you are a part of the Buena Vista community! Due to changes to the enrollment process for the 22/23 school year, we are needing to get an accurate count of who will be returning next year before the district's Choice Window closes on February 15th.
In addition, it is important that Ms. Alison, as your registrar, knows as soon as possible where current 5th graders and any child not returning to BV will be attending school next year. If you are unsure of your plans for next year please respond that you ARE returning and let Ms. Alison (firstname.lastname@example.org) know as soon as possible if your plans will be taking you away from Buena Vista.
No matter what your plans are, please fill out the short survey at this link: https://forms.office.com/r/E8bCd1mSG8.
News from the School Accountability Committee
What is the School Accountability Committee (SAC)?
January SAC Meeting
Tuesday, Jan. 25th, 2:45pm
924 West Pikes Peak Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO
Please join the School Accountability Meeting for the January 2022 meeting. We will be meeting in person, in room 6 at Buena Vista, and online at the WebEx address below!
SAC Chair Position Opening
"A chair will be elected from the SAC membership. A vice chair or co-chair and secretary may also be elected. The term of office will be one or two years, and may be renewed at the discretion of the SAC. The chair, co-chair, and/or vice chair should be a parent/guardian elected from the parent/guardian representatives on the SAC. Officers will be elected by the majority of the membership present at the last meeting of the existing school year or at the first meeting of the next school year but no later than September 1 of each year.
The Chair will preside at all meetings, appoint subcommittee chairs as needed and, in general, conduct the business of the committee. The Chair or Secretary (if elected) will take minutes of the meetings, record attendance and provide a written copy for the records. The Chair will also ensure that the school community has been notified and has the opportunity to participate in DAC/SAC/Parent/Guardian work sessions and conferences sponsored by the District DAC."
If you have a heart for BV and feel that you would like to chair the SAC at Buena Vista, please plan to attend the January 25th meeting (see above). Reach out to Ms. Karen B. (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
News from Your PTA
Watch the January 2022 PTA Meeting
If you missed the January 2022 PTA Meeting, we have the recording for you to watch! Please click the link below and use the password to view the meeting in its entirety.
Dr. Brandan Comfort from District 11, who serves on the Academic Master Plan committee, spoke with us about the plans for Buena Vista Montessori now that the bond failed in November.
Your PTA Needs YOU!
The PTA is looking for three volunteers to serve Buena Vista on the PTA board starting in July. There are two positions for Co-President and one position for Secretary. The term for the new board members is for the next two years. Our current treasurer will still be on the board next year. If you are interested in running please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more – we would love to have you join us!
Easy Ways to Help Out the BV PTA
Sign up to support the BV PTA through AmazonSmile.
- You can select Buena Vista Montessori PTA as your charity recipient when you shop online at amazonsmile.com.
- AmazonSmile is also now available in the app on your Apple or Android devices. You can set this up in the app under "Settings">"Programs & Features".
- If you shop for girts on Amazon, this is an easy way for you to support our students and school.
- Be sure to ask your friends and family to select BV on AmazonSmile, as well.
You can earn money for BV PTA just by using your Loyalty Card when shopping at King Soopers.
To enroll your Loyalty Card with BV:
- Log on to www.kingsoopers.com/communityrewards and click "Enroll Now" to sign in to your account. If you have never used your Loyalty Card online before you will have to create an account. You will need an e-mail and your Loyalty Card number or your alternate ID (often your phone#).
- Find Buena Vista Montessori School (programs are listed alphabetically) or use our Code: UQ795 as the program you want to support!
- You are DONE! THAT'S IT! Now whenever you shop you are earning BV PTA money!
- This program is a big "Free Money" maker that helps to fund many great BV and PTA events and equipment.
News from the Health Room
My Child is Not Feeling Well. Now What?
The list below refers only to new symptom or a change in usual symptoms. A student should not be kept home for usual symptoms they experience due to a chronic condition unless they are worse than usual. These guidelines are in additional to your regular school guidance (for example, a student with vomiting symptoms should also not attend school based on usual school guidance).
If you student is experiencing any potentially life-threatening symptoms, please call 911.
If any of the following symptoms are present, keep the child at home / stay at home. Inform Ms. Karen B. in the office via phone call (719-328-4100) or email email@example.com.
- Feeling feverish, having chills, or temperature of 100.4F or higher.
- New or unexplained persistent cough.
- Shortness of breath.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Loss of taste or smell.
- Muscle aches.
- Sore throat.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Runny nose or congestion.
COVID Protocol Updates
- For students of any age, and staff riding D11 buses for any purpose (e.g., to and from school, activities, field trips, etc.), in alignment with the Federal mandate, face coverings on all D11 buses are required.
- For students ages 11 and under, in alignment with local and state guidance, face coverings are not required, but still recommended (as of Monday, December 13th) while learning indoors.
- For students/staff ages 12 and over, in alignment with local and state guidance, face coverings are not required, but still recommended (as of Monday, December 13th) for anyone who is 12+ years regardless of vaccination status.
- We will continue with our diligent handwashing and sanitizing efforts throughout the school day. Including, but not limited to; after recess, before and after lunch, before and after specials, etc.
- Our children and staff will continue to clean and sanitize the classrooms daily. Our custodial staff will clean and sanitize the building and playgrounds daily, as well.
- The current guidelines indicate a three-foot space between each person. We will do our best to honor that guideline throughout the school day. However, due to the structure of our learning community, the social distancing is not always possible.
For additional resources and information from the State and local health agencies, please visit the following link:
Updated Return to Learn