Sequoia Elementary Newsletter
School News and Updates
By now you've probably heard that we had a surprise hot air balloon landing on our field Tuesday morning right as students were heading to class! Due to fog and low visibility the group coming from Calistoga needed to make an emergency landing in a large grassy area. All parties in the balloon basket and on campus were safe during the balloon landing.The pilot and crew safely deflated the balloon that took up over half the field and headed off campus within 30 minutes. It's hard to believe just how big a hot air balloon is until it's right in front of you! This was a first for Sequoia and a pretty awesome surprise experience!
You may also have heard that several police officers from the Santa Rosa Police Department were on campus Tuesday as well. All of the RVUSD schools are working with SRPD to learn more ways to keep students and staff safe while at school. Our Safety Committee walked the entire campus perimeter and went into regular and portable classrooms with the officers. SRPD was able to give us recommendations for building and perimeter security as well as staff training. We really appreciate the time these officers took to meet with us and help us be up-to-date with training and be thoughtful about keeping Sequoia safe.
As we approach the one-year anniversary of the fires we know that some students and families may need extra support and care. As a school we want to be sensitive that some students may want to talk about it and some may not. We will have a school wide assembly as we always do every other Monday and I will briefly touch on this topic. I will let students know if they are having big feelings or a difficult time there are several adults on campus that care for them and are available to check in. Our counseling office and library will be available as other options during lunch/recess for students if needed. I will also talk about how our Sequoia community comes together during adversity and joy. This will be a good opportunity to highlight the many exciting and joyful things happening that week as well - Walk and Roll to School (10/10) and our Sequoia Walk A Thon (10/12). We were all impacted in some way by the fires and we want to support our students and families as we navigate this anniversary time. Please be in touch with me or your child's teacher if you need any additional support, resources or help. Here is a link from the Sonoma County Office of Education with several resources you may find helpful. https://www.scoe.org/pub/htdocs/scoe-fire-anniversary.html
Walk-A-Thon Volunteers Needed!
Sequoia Spirit Wear
Odyssey of the Mind - Meeting Tonight!
If you are interested in having your child participate in Odyssey of the Mind (OM), but aren’t sure what it’s all about, please come to Rincon Valley’s OM Parent Information Night in the Madrone Elementary cafeteria on Thursday, September 27, from 6:30-7:30.
We will discuss what Odyssey of the Mind is all about, how to form a team, the responsibilities of OM parent coaches, and try a couple of OM type problems. Children are welcome to attend as well, but the focus will be on information for parents. OM is open to all students and all grade levels (K-8) in Rincon Valley.
Please email Kathy Alexander, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you would like to attend.
Here is the link to the OM website for more information about the program: https://www.odysseyofthemind.com/.
Sequoia Elementary School App
- School will be dismissed at 1:55pm from September 24th - October 5th due to parent-teacher conferences.
- Our Lost and Found is donated to charity at the beginning of each month. Please take a look at our Lost and Found behind the office to see if your child has any items there.
- If you pick up your child on Calistoga Road after school, please remind them they need to use the walking paths and sidewalks on campus to get to their pick up spot. We've had some students jump over the fence from the field to get to parents. Thank you for helping us keep all kids safe.
- For safety purposes, please make sure you check in at the office whenever you are on campus during school hours. Even if you volunteer regularly, we'd like you to get a visitors badge at the office.
Dates to Remember
- Sept. 24th-Oct. 5th - Fall Conferences (1:55pm Dismissal)
- Oct. 4th - Picture Make-up Day
- Oct. 10th - Walk and Roll to School
- Oct. 11th - SQ Bball vs Whited @ SQ
- Oct. 12th - Walk A Thon