Lincoln Crossing Colt Connection
Sunday, February 18, 2018
LCES United: Together We Are More!
Mrs. Hladun's Tidings
Our team is always looking for ways to support students and help them grow in their academics and socially. School is naturally a social place where students learn how to relate to peers - often that's wonderful and fun, but sometimes it can turn unkind, and people's feelings are hurt or they feel picked on or bullied.
Our handbook clearly defines bullying behavior. Often unkind student behavior is just that - unkind. But unkind behavior is still not the Colt Way. To that end, in order to provide students with tools to be effective self-advocates and to provide feedback to peers who are crossing a personal boundary, we are introducing a new strategy called "Stop, Walk and Talk" on Tuesday, 2/20 in the morning.
This data driven strategy asks students to assertively say "stop" when someone is bothering them. If the peer doesn't get the message, the student will be encouraged to "walk" or remove themselves from the situation. Should the peer continue to bother the student, the student will be encouraged to "talk" to a staff member on the playground or classroom. Our staff will be using this strategy to reflect with the child - confirming that they have used the "stop" and "walk" strategies before they intervene. Certainly, if there is intentional physical contact or some other egregious situation, we will address that on the spot.
During Tuesday's assembly, we'll describe the steps, role model what it looks like in various situations (on the blacktop, during class time, etc...). We'll also be reviewing our school wide expectations - the Colt Way (Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible, and Be a Problem Solver). Our staff members are also working to review specific expectations for the classroom, playground, cafeteria, etc... during the month of February.
If you have any questions, please let us know! We are excited to launch this developmental approach to peer problem solving and to help your child become a strong self-advocate, or to hear and respond to appropriate boundary setting messages.
Parent Healthy Kids Survey - we need your help!
Our district participates in the CA Healthy Kids Survey each year. Our 5th graders and staff are taking it and we would encourage our families to participate as well.
The survey considers topics like student resiliency, protective factors, risk behaviors and school climate. The data we collect helps to inform our district and site priorities. Please take a few minutes between now and Friday, 2/23 to complete the survey and share your input!
PARENT SURVEY - surveys.wested.org/csps/TX762CM
Kinder Registration starts on Mon., 2/26!
Parking - Good Times! :)
Over the years, our PTC has been a generous contributor to our school site and they work so hard to help us build our school culture and community - we <3 PTC! There are many fun things to look forward to this spring:
- The Believe spring fundraiser wraps up on Fri., 2/23 - pop-ables have been a huge hit!
- PTC hosts it's first skate night on Thurs., 2/22 from 6-8 pm at Roller King!
- The next PTC meeting is on Thurs., 3/1 at 3 pm in the LCE Science Room
- The annual father/daughter dance is coming up on Sat., 3/3 at TBMS; click for the order form and portrait info (sorry in advance that it's upside down!)
- Join us at Red Robin in Lincoln on Wed., 3/7 for a dine out, a % comes back to LCE!
We hope to see you there! Contact PTC at email@example.com with any questions!
It Happens Here - Awareness Around Human Trafficking in Placer Co.
- parents - session titled "How to Recognize and Start the Dialogue" - session on 2/21 or 3/6
- youth aged 10-13 - session titled "Empowering Youth" - session on 3/20 or 4/12
- youth aged 14-18 - session titled "Don't Get Trapped: De-Glamorizing the Life" - session on 4/17 or 5/1
- Thurs., 2/15-Mon., 2/19: No School
- now-Fri., 2/23: PTC Believe Spring Fundraiser - all order/funds due 2/23
- now-Fri., 2/23: Parent Health Kids Survey is open - please give us your input!
- Tues., 2/20: School Resumes
- Tues., 2/20: Stop, Walk, Talk Assembly (ask your kiddo about it!)
- Thurs., 2/22, 6-8 pm: PTC Roller King Family Skate Night
- Thurs., 2/22: Parent Resource Night in Spanish - click for flier
- Mon., 2/26, 7 am: Kinder registration starts
- Mon., 2/26: Hearing Screening for grades K, 2 and 5
- Week of 2/26: Read Across America Week
- Wed., 2/28: Spring Picture Day
- Thurs., 3/1, 3 pm: PTC Meeting, Science Room
- Fri., 3/2: LCES Dress Up Day - Favorite Book Character
- Sat., 3/3, 6-8 pm: PTC Daddy Daughter Dance - click for the ticket order form
- Wed., 3/7: PTC Red Robin Dine Out
- Wed., 3/7: Star Struck Rehearsals Start! - shows are on 4/17 and 4/19!
School will be out of session for Spring Break from Mon., 3/26-Mon., 4/2. School will resume on Tues., 4/3.
AM Kinder: 8 - 11:20 am PM Kinder: 10:20 am -1:40 pm Grades 1-5: 8:15 am - 1:40 pm (supervision provided for students from 1:40-2 pm)
Click for more information about school meal pricing and breakfast and lunch menus. You can also access My School Bucks to add to your child's lunch balance and submit an online application for free/reduced meals.