Santa Clara De Asìs
Mission Santa Clara De Asìs was built in 1777. And was closed in 1818. The mission was the 8th mission out of the 21 missions. The Ohlone Indians built the mission. The founder of the mission was Fray Junìpero Sierra. It's location is in Lexington Street and The Alameda (Box 3217) Santa Clara, CA 95053. Santa Clara De Asìs was found in January 12, 1777. It was also built in 1777. It was named for Saint Clarie of Assisi. The earthquake weakend the walls in 1812. The earthquake destroyed the church in 1818. The church was built in 1825, and was 100 feet long, 44 feet wide, and 25 feet high.
Daily Life At The Mission
More than 1,200 native workers lived at Santa Clara. The workers jobs were to make candles, produced wine, and brandy. The people were also good spinners and weavers. In 1851, the Franciscans and the Jesuits founded a collage which is now Santa Clara University. In the mission there was a cemetery, a workshop, vineyard, a patio, soldiers barracks, and a padres quarters. The crops were peaches, apples, pears, figs, and, grapes. There was a church at the mission where they prayed and sang songs.
Pictures And Illustrations
Santa Clara De Asìs Today
A fire destroyed the church in 1926. The 1st bell was melted by the heat. The 2nd bell was cracked. The 3rd bell was saved from the fire. The 3rd bell was the gift from the spanish king. the 3rd bell was hung from a tree and rang that night at 8:30 p.m. it rang at that time since 1799. Many years later, king Alfonso of Spain sent another new bell. When the bell tower was rebuilt it had four bells. The church is still open today.
missiononline.com, californiamission.com, Santa Clara De Asìs by Amy Margaret. Copyrighted in 2000.