LEAD Innovation Studio
Vol. 4, Issue 11 - October 30, 2020
NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
We have officially completed the first quarter of our school year. It is a year unlike any other we have ever experienced. This is much to be grateful for – we are particularly excited about completing our building both in terms of the physical structure, and in being a 4 year school with 9th-12th grade students – this also means the realization of a complete team of staff. I am incredibly proud and humbled by the amazing work and dedication of our LEAD team. The pandemic has put many barriers in place of continuing to build a welcoming, supportive, inclusive community for all of our LEAD students and families. We continue to emphasize Community building in our work and communication with our LEAD family. We hope that you have seen and felt that! We know we have work to do, but we are committed to fulfilling our vision of Challenging each student to be a LEADer, to be Empowered, to Aspire, and to Dream.
This week we had a visitor from Jostens here to meet with our seniors to begin the process of ordering caps and gowns and announcements. This is incredibly bitter sweet as a LEAD staff member and as a LEAD parent of a senior. As I looked at our 12th graders during that presentation, I was so proud of the growth in all of them, and of the young men and women they have become and of the contributing members of society they will be. I couldn’t help but reflect on the conversations and mentor meetings, the discussions of goal setting, action planning, of dreams and aspirations that we have had with these seniors, as well as those we continue to have with our Freshmen, sophomores and juniors. The staff at LEAD are human, we make mistakes, we are searching for how to best connect with and teach and support all of our students in this challenging times. We continue to work on how we can do this better, but know we are working as hard as we can and that we care – if we can support or communicate better, please reach out and let us know – we always are seeking partnership in supporting your student.
As always, this newsletter is packed with important information, please take a few minutes to look it over – we don’t want you to miss anything!
LEAD’s next club dates are November 10th and 12th. We have had a great turn out so far this year. Remember students can sign up for bus transportation for a ride home the day of their club meeting!
VETERAN'S DAY RECOGNITION
The Administration, Staff and Students at LEAD would like to honor and recognize past and present Heroes in the seven branches of the United States Military forces for Veteran’s Day. If you are interested in participating, please click HERE to submit your entry/entries of family members who served our country. We will create a slide show that will be shown during the week of November 9-13 on our TV monitors at LEAD.
Thank you for contributing to our celebration of Veteran's Day 2020!
Here are a couple examples of how we will recognize each entry:
Parent Advisory Committee - Volunteering Opportunities
At the meeting we discussed several topics:
- Academic Awards Update
- Spring Semester Enrollment
- Learning Update
- Building Updates
- Parent Committees
See below for more details on these. If you are interested in being involved in student or staff activities and support (coordinating or providing snacks/ treats) please complete the sign up survey here:
HOUSING AND INTERIORS PROJECT . . . GINGERBREAD VILLAGE
Housing and Interiors is starting a new yearly tradition of building community through holiday spirit! This year we will be creating a Gingerbread Village as a class wide project to be displayed throughout our building. If you would like to donate to our festivities please see the link to sign up and bring in needed supplies by 11/10/2020! Video link
Courtney Carter, M.Ed.
LEAD Innovation Studio
Family and Consumer Science
SECOND SEMESTER ENROLLMENT INFORMATION
Just as in this fall semester, families will choose between in-person and online learning for their children.
We will again have all students who choose the in-person option in one of the three modes, depending on how bad the pandemic is in our area: 100% in-person mode, split mode (we are currently in this mode), and distance mode.
· Park Hill Online:
This is once again a fully online option for Park Hill students.
Because surveys showed us that we will have some students returning to in-person and some moving to Park Hill Online, we know we will need enough time to develop schedules and make a new staffing plan based on the updated enrollment numbers. Beginning on October 29, families and students will choose between the two learning options, and they will have until November 13 to make their decisions. This allows us enough time to tell the teachers the plan so they can prepare.
We have had a great response to our request for "shout-outs" for our LEADers and we love it! But let's not stop there. Please continue to send us info that you'd like to share with us at LEAD. This could include:
- Birthdays - Feel free to submit a picture and special message! They will get their own page wishing them happy birthday!
- Sporting events at the home high school - pictures in action or in uniform.
- Future plans - Has your LEAD Senior decided on their future plans? Have they declared a college, trade school, or military? Again, we want to highlight them on our big screen! Send us picture and inform us of their future plans. We would love to highlight all of our Seniors this year at LEAD.
- Other accomplishments - Feel free to share those with us too!
Submit your Shout Out by completing this form: https://forms.gle/65rF3tGjPdT3UQRt7.
Dr. Sarah Eisenmenger
LEAD Assistant Principal
JOSTEN'S ZOOM MEETING - PARENTS OF LEAD SENIORS
Topic: PH LEAD Parent Graduation Meeting to answer all question graduation
Time: Nov 2, 2020 05:30 PM Central Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 926 8705 5335
FOR THE CLASS OF 2021 . . .
How would you like college scholarship money for your senior?
Your student is encouraged to participate in the 4th Annual Park Hill School District Scholarship Initiative Program! The Park Hill School District has partnered with several area colleges and universities who have agreed to offer various merit based and need based scholarships to the Class of 2021.
With your permission, the District will send your student’s academic records (transcript, ACT scores, GPA, class rank, gender, and ethnicity) to these partner institutions. The colleges and universities will evaluate your student’s individual information and consider them for various scholarship opportunities based on their specific merit and need based criteria.
It is our hope that, early next semester, a Scholarship Initiative Showcase (see details below) will be held for LEAD, Park Hill South and Park Hill High School seniors, and their parents/guardians. At this event, your student will learn about the scholarships they are being offered from these partner schools. You will have an opportunity to meet with college representatives and learn more about the exciting programs and opportunities, as well as the next steps in the application/admission process.
· Over 300 PHS and PHHS seniors from Class of 2020 were offered scholarships!
· A total of over $100 Million in scholarships were offered!
· 20 area colleges and universities participated!
Save the date…..
· Scholarship Initiative Showcase – January 27, 2021 (tentative, pending health and safety conditions; February 3 is the inclement weather backup date), 6:00-7:30pm at Park Hill South High School. For LEAD, Park Hill South and Park Hill High School students and parents/guardians.
** Special invitations for those receiving scholarships will be sent out in advance.
· Financial Aid Presentation – February 3, 2021, 7:30-8:15pm at Park Hill South High School Auditorium. A local university financial aid director will be leading the program. FAFSA, grants, loans, scholarships, and other sources of financial aid will be discussed.
** All students and families are welcome to attend!
** To participate ** All you need to do is give us permission to share your student’s information. Please follow these instructions to give your permission by Thursday, October 29:
- Log-in to the Infinite Campus Parent Portal (see instructions for doing so here).
- Click on the Surveys tab.
- Select the Park Hill School District Scholarship Initiative survey.
We are excited about this opportunity for your student, and are looking forward to working with you! If you have questions, please contact your student’s counselor.
Dr. Ryan Stanley, Principal
LEAD Innovation Studio
Amanda Shanks, Last Names, A-K
Rachel Colvin, Last Names, L-Z
1/8 page - Maximum 2 pictures, 25 words - $15.00
1/4 page - Maximum 4 pictures, 50 words - $27.00
Please use this form to create your senior salute and upload photos:
- Photos taken from social media are likely too low of resolution to be usable.
- A reminder that copyrighted material is not allowed and will be rejected.
- Be sure to include the appropriate signature (i.e. "Love, Mom and Dad").
- Do NOT exceed the word limit or yearbook staff will edit/cut for you.
- Staff reserves the right to edit all content for grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Staff reserves the right to refuse content not suitable for student publications or for violating copyright laws.
- We will design and edit ads for consistency and clarity, so please do not send a completely designed ad. You are simply submitting image(s) and a personal message.
- Once your order has been approved, the fee will be entered in Infinite Campus where it can be paid.
- Senior Salute orders DUE November 25
If you have questions, please contact yearbook adviser Melanie Farber: firstname.lastname@example.org
DECA - PARK HILL SOUTH
JOSTENS - Class rings & Graduation information
- November 2 (5:30 pm) - Zoom parent graduation town hall (see link in article above)
- November 3 & 5 (lunch periods) - Grad announcement & cap/gown order day
- November 12 & 13 - Additional grad announcement & cap/gown order day
- January 21 & 22 - Sophomore class ring premier (socially distanced class meeting). Order/information packets distributed
- January 25 & 26 (lunch periods) - Class ring orders
- February 2 & 4 - Additional ring orders
- March 12 (lunch periods) - Grad announcement delivery
- March 17 - Additional grad announcement delivery
- April 8 & 9 (lunch periods) - Class ring delivery
- April 15 (lunch periods) - Cap/gown delivery
- April 21 - Additional cap/gown delivery
SENIORS A+ DEADLINES!!
Here is a list of important "To-Do" items for Seniors who are planning on receiving an A+ scholarship. Depending on first or second semester graduation, these items should be done no later than December (fall graduate) or late April (spring graduate). For any of the items that need to be submitted, please submit them directly to your home high school's A+ coordinator and NOT Ms. Villalobos at LEAD. Ellen Reys at PHHS: email@example.com or Dr. Owens at PHS: firstname.lastname@example.org
ASAP: Parents will need to help with this step and use last year's tax return. Students need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms due . All FAFSA information is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
December or April: A+ Attendance appeals & documentation due (if necessary)
December or April: ALL Mentoring and Tutoring hours (50) due
December or April: Final Senior Reflection due (will be sent to your school e-mail)
December or April: Complete Final Transcript Request through Naviance (transcript & A+ funds will be delayed if not completed)
ATTENTION PARK HILL SOUTH/LEAD STUDENTS
If you plan on taking the AP test for a class you have this semester on your schedule, you must have a $95.00 check turned in to Dr. Eisenmenger by November 2. If you don't have a check turned in by that date, you will not have a test ordered. Please make the check out to Park Hill South. If you have questions, please see Dr. Eisenmenger.
FRESHMEN COUNSELOR MEETINGS FOR ICAP
Hello, LEAD Freshman!
It’s time for us to meet to discuss your ICAP (Individual Career and Academic Plan) to map out your 4 Year Plan of high school courses. Meetings have begun and will continue through Friday, November 20.
- Hybrid Students – Please select an In Person time and bring your lap top to the meeting. When you sign up, your selected date and time will automatically be added to both your and your counselor’s outlook calendars. On the day of your scheduled meeting, create an e-hall pass to come meet with your counselor.
- Online Students – Please select a Zoom meeting time. When you sign up, your selected date and time will automatically be added to both your and your counselor’s outlook calendars. Your counselor will send you a zoom link for you to access your meeting.
Sign up for a meeting with your LEAD counselor, here:
Mrs. Shanks (Last Names A-K): https://calendly.com/amanda-shanks/freshman-icap-individual-counselor-meeting
Mrs. Colvin (Last Names L-Z): https://calendly.com/rachelcolvin/freshman-meeting-with-mrs-colvin-last-names-l-z
We look forward to seeing you soon! --Mrs. Colvin and Mrs. Shanks
CHECKING YOUR STUDENT'S PROGRESS . . .
In-Person: to check your student's progress for in-person learning, please go to Summit to see your student's dashboard. If you do not have log on information - please let us know and we can get that to you. You can also ask your student to show you their Summit dashboard - the "year" view gives a great snapshot.
Online: to check your student's progress for online learning you need to view student grades in Infinite Campus. Some select classes have had some technical issues with grades posting from Schoology - we are working to resolve that. If you don't see grades entered in Infinite Campus, you can see progress in Schoology. We can support with parent access to both Infinite Campus and Schoology if needed - in the meantime, your student can show you their Schoology and Infinite Campus information.
As always - please monitor your student's progress, ask them about their goals and plans, and reach out with questions or concerns to your student's facilitator, mentor, counselor, or administrator. Mrs. Graham can support with questions regarding access to any of the platforms (email@example.com).
11/2 - 11/6 SCHEDULE
Monday: In person day for last name A-K
Tuesday: In person day for last name L-Z
Wednesday: Distance learning day for all
Thursday: In person day for last name A-K
Friday: In person day for last name L-Z
- November 2 (5:30 pm) - Jostens - Zoom parent graduation town hall (see link above)
- November 6 - Grades available to view at 4:00 PM
- November 10 (6:00-7:00) - ZOOM Parent Night - Preventing Youth Suicide
- November 10 & 12 - LEAD Clubs after school. Sign up here if you need to take the bus: https://forms.gle/o8jnCTBunC1uo6oCA.