Week of May 16th-20th
May Book Order:
Your child is bringing home the May Scholastic Book Order today. With summer just around the corner, it is the perfect time to stock up on some fun summer books. If you are interested in placing an order, you can fill out the form and send in a check made out to Scholastic Reading Club OR you can place your order online. To order online, go to scholastic.com/readingclub and use our class code: NG6FZ. One of the perks of ordering online is that it gives our classroom extra points that can be used on getting more books for our classroom library. All orders need to be in by Tuesday, May 24th. Happy ordering! :)
Student Council's "Mayhem Days"
The Mayhem Days are fun, dress up days for our Central students and staff in the month of May. Here is a list of the fun that is still coming our way:
- Friday, May 20 - Famous Person Day (dress up like someone famous from the past or present!!)
- Friday, May 27 - Favorite Sports Team Day (wear a shirt or jersey from your favorite professional or college sports team)
Field Day will be held Thursday, June 2nd. Every class has been assigned a color to wear that day in order to help staff keep track of all the kiddos. Our class color is royal blue. Please do not feel obligated to buy a shirt in this color if your child does not have one, just have him/her wear a shirt in any shade of blue if possible.
Just a few reminders:
- Please have your child wear sunscreen--No one wants to start the summer with a nasty sunburn!
- We will have water stations at Field Day, but your child is able to bring a water bottle of his/her own.
- If your child is susceptible to bug bites, please put bug spray on prior to sending him/her to school.
Here are some topics that students need to be familiar with:
- the 4 things that all plants and animals need (air, water, space, and energy)
- consumer, producer, decomposer
- herbivore, carnivore, omnivore
- parasite and host
- food chain vs. food web
- ways that living things help each other
- ways that living things compete with each other
- predator and prey
We are beginning unit 7 which involves Algebraic Thinking. Throughout this unit, students will spend time observing, extending, and making generalizations about various patterns. This week, we will be working on the following topics and activities:
- unit 7 pre-test
- extending and generalizing odd and even number patterns
- square numbers
We are continuing to work on our adjective and adverb unit. This week, we will focus on the following skills:
- adjectives after linking verbs
- proper adjectives
We will be having an adjective quiz on Thursday. We will complete an in-class review worksheet on Wednesday to help prepare for the quiz.
Spelling: Unit 9 Week 3
The Core Words are guaranteed to be on Friday's spelling test. I will also choose 10 of the Test Words to include on the spelling test. Students can practice this week's words by going onto spellingcity.com.
Important Dates to Remember:
May 16th: PTA meeting @ 6:30 pm in the cafeteria
May 18th: Papa John's Restaurant Fundraiser
May 30th: Memorial Day--No School
June 2nd: Field Day
June 3rd: Last Day of School; End of the 4th grading period