By: Brianne Vermeys
- The annual number of new infections is roughly equal among teen girls (51%) and teen guys (49%).
- HPV (human papillomavirus) accounts for the majority of prevalent STIs in the US.
- The US has the highest rate of STD infection in the industrialized world.
- 6 in 10 sexually active high school teens reported using condoms during their most recent sexual intercourse.
- 1 in 4 teens contract a sexually transmitted disease every year.
- Less than half of adults age 18 to 44 have ever been tested for an STD other than HIV/AIDS.