January 16th - January 19th
Monday, January 15th
- No School--Martin Luther King Day
Wednesday, January 17th
- Harper Mindfulness PTO meeting, 9:00 am
- D39 Education Foundation Meeting, MEC, 7-8 pm
Thursday, January 18th
- Kindergarten Enrollment 2018-2019 school year, Harper lobby 9:30 am-6:30 pm
- D39 Pass Meeting, Highcrest Middle School, 9:15-10:15 am
Friday, January 19th
- Kindergarten Enrollment 2018-2019 school year, Harper lobby 8:55 am-3:15 pm
Mrs. Ryan's Corner
It feels odd to say it, but I appreciate the recent warm weather of anything above 15 degrees. The students are back into the routine of school and things are going well! January brings with it a refreshed approach to learning for students after the break, and it feels great. Please remember to send proper winter clothes for outside play at school with your child each day. If the weather is agreeable then we will go outside for recess.
We hope you enjoy the upcoming three-day weekend, especially Monday as we remember Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
-Wilmette, District 39’s Summer Enrichment Program brochure will be available to view online January 16 @
** Registration is done online . Registration opens
February 5, 2018 @ 9:30 am.
- Please read 4th grade parents!! As you probably know, we dedicate a portion of our yearbook to the fourth graders. It is a Harper tradition to include each fourth grader’s baby picture in the yearbook, allowing their classmates to guess the baby. Our fourth grade yearbook club is helping to design this section of the yearbook and we’d like to get them working on it as quickly as possible. Please e-mail a baby photo of your child no later than Monday, January 22nd. Send the photo to Nikki Householder @ email@example.com. Send a high-resolution image, with a clear shot of your child’s face, so the photo is sharp and identifiable. Please provide us with your child’s baby picture asap to ensure that we meet our publishing deadline. Thank you for your help in making this a special keepsake for your fourth grader!
- Will you have a child at Highcrest next year? The HMS PTO is currently in the process of setting up the nominating committee to assist with the exec and general boards slates for the next school year. We need 2 reps from each of the elementary schools as well as Highcrest. The PTO is also looking for volunteers for positions on the general and exec boards. If you or someone you know are/is interested in a position on the nominating committee, please contact Lisa Hirschle at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31st. If you are interested in general or exec board positions or just want to learn more about them, please also contact Lisa Hirschle at email@example.com.
- The Yearbook Committee wants your Holiday Party Photos! If you haven’t tried the ReplayIt app for uploading photos to Yearbook, it’s so easy. Below is a guide on how to set it up. Download the app and give it a try www.replayit.com (password is HarperRocks). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- What to do on these cold winter nights? Open Gym is happening at Harper! Mondays, 6:30-8:00 pm 1/22-3/19. Harper Students only (no non-Harper siblings, sorry!) Limit 30 students, there will be a door monitor keeping a list. Clean shoes must be brought in for the gym. Students may not go to their lockers so you must bring shoes from home. A parent needs to stay with their child(ren). This is not a drop off. The gym program will be run by D39 gym teacher, Mr. Chris Toy! He is awesome and the reason we have to cap our number at 30. First come/first serve. See you there!
- From January 22nd through 26th, the Community Service Committee is collecting unused children's pajamas for Housing Opportunities for Women. The donation week will end with a spirit day on January 26th for Harper students to wear their PJs to school! Please consider donating and please visit http://www.how-inc.org for more information about HOW. Thank you! The PJs are assigned per grade as follows:
K - size 3/4 (XXS)
1st - 5/6 (XS)
2nd - 7/8 (S)
3rd - 9/10 (M)
4th - 12 (L)
- Continue your support for Connections for the Homeless. Please read the latest update attached below and learn about opportunities for your family to provide additional support at home by assembling homeless outreach kits, making meals or collecting donations. A great way to honor MLK Jr. Day by continuing the fight for social justice with your children at home.
- 1/16--High Touch High Tech visits 1st graders with their Weather or Not program
- 1/24--Author Eliot Schrefer visits with 3rd and 4th graders
On January 16th, 1st graders will experience hands-on science with the High Touch High Tech "Weather or Not©” program, led by High Touch High Tech. 1st graders will be taking an up-close look at a real tornado, making thunder, touching lightning and learning about all of the amazing properties of air and air pressure. This Enrichment series is brought to you by iGNITE!
Thank you for your contributions to iGNITE!
The Green Corner
- Wednesday, January 17th at 7:00 pm--"The Right (and Wrong) Stuff: How Brilliant Careers are Made and Unmade" by Kellogg Professor and Author Carter Cast. New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, 60093. The event will be videotaped. Suitable for ages 12+.
- Monday, January 22nd at 12:00 pm and 7:00 pm --"Advice Not Given: A Guide to Getting Over Yourself" by Professor, Author and Psychiatrist Mark Epstein, MD. 1st program at 12:00 pm at Loyola University Chicago School of Law 25 E. Pearson St., Chicago, IL 60611 RSVP required at www.familyactionnetwork.net. 2nd program at 7:00 pm New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093 No RSVP required. Tuesday, January 23rd from 9:00-10:30 am -- Grand Rounds Presentation "Working with Trauma: Integrating Psychotherapy and Mindfulness" CEUs available -- pre-registration required at www.familyactionnetwork.net. New Trier High School, Northfield Campus, Cornog Auditorium 7 Happ Rd., Northfield, IL 60093. *The January 22nd evening event and the January 23rd morning event will be videotaped. Suitable for ages 12+.
The Volunteer Center offers community service opportunity on January 15th in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. at The Winnetka Community House 1:00 - 4:00 pm.
MasterChef Junior is hosting open casting calls in Chicago on January 13th for children ages 8-13.
Wilmette Park District hosts after school clubs for students at Harper January 9 - March 23. Registration began November 28th.
- Link to community events:
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org