Assignment for the week of March 23-27
Performance Reflection: 2017 Blue Devils Metamorph
- Read the following description of Metamorph.
- Watch both YouTube videos.
- Log onto Google Classroom and answer the reflection questions. (If you cannot do that, please see other options below.)
In mythology, folklore, epic poems and the oldest extant literature, metamorphosis (or shape shifting) has long been present. It remains a common trope in modern fantasy, children's literature, and works of popular culture. The shaman and the showman both have pondered the mystery and magic of metamorphosis. This most profound act of change can emerge beyond the scientific explanation to reveal a metaphor of growth, evolution, and inspiration. With a multilayered musical and visual tribute to the past, present and future, the Blue Devils present their 2017 program Metamorph. From a California community of rhythmical dreamers to a global brand of music and motion, the Blue Devils take flight from a cocoon of history and imagination. Metamorph resonates with music by composers such as Peter Graham and Simon Dobson and, at its heart, the prophetic "Everything Must Change" by Bernard Ighner. Metamorph rises in an upward trajectory of reflection and revelation. As the Blue Devils organization celebrates its diamond anniversary, the transformation unfolds as a feast of memories and exploration. The creativity and excellence of 60 years is a vast legacy of incredible performers and the ascension of a drum and bell corps to Drum Corps International's most honored ensemble. Showcasing 150 talented performers, the 2017 Blue Devils travel the United States shifting shape and sound through the discovery and artistry of Metamorph.
- The Blue Devis Present their 2017 Production Metamorph. (2017, May 11). Retrieved from https://www.bluedevils.org/programs/a-corps/seasons/?module=videos&season=2017&assetID=81066
- TheBlueDevils. (2017, May 11). The Blue Devils Present their 2017 Production Metamorph [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/_E2nsyQQiJo
- TheBlueDevils. (2017, August 17). 2017 Blue Devil Encore Performance [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/qOMjdUhkH5E
- How do you think the uniform designs added to the theme of the production?
- Which camera views did you like the most? Why?
- Which solo performer did you like the most (flugelhorn, trombone, or trumpet)? Why?
- What do you feel the electronics/vocals added to the production?
- Drum Corps shows are beginning to include more non-bugle instruments in the wind score. How did adding trombones towards the end of the production change the color of sound?
BHS Band Google Classroom
Everyone should have been added to the Google Classroom and have an invitation in your Bonham Student Gmail. I would prefer that you submit your reflections there.
IF YOU CANNOT GET ONTO GOOGLE CLASSROOM, PLEASE DO ONE OF THESE:
- Email your responses to me:
- Call my Google Voice number: it rings to my cell phone. If I don't answer, leave a voicemail.