CDS Middle School
August 18th, 2020
Tomorrow is the First Day of School! (Finally!)
There have been some significant changes from our last newsletter that went out to the community! As you all know, CDS received a notice from the Incheon Metropolitan City Office of Education on Monday morning that mandates two things:
1. Student attendance is being limited per school
2. All students must receive instruction each day, whether it is online or in person
Consequently, we have made the transition to distance (online) learning one week and physical school the other week, at least until September 11th. After that date, the COVID situation will be reevaluated and a decision will be made with how to move forward.
Some changes to our physical school include the following:
1. Middle school and high school students will no longer both be on campus at the same time. They will alternate between physical (in-person) and synchronous (virtual) schedules. Because this means fewer students will be on campus at once, parents will now be able to drive onto our campus for pick up and drop off as they have in past years.
2. To avoid unsafe crowding in the hallways, some teachers will temporarily move to the high school wing and teach from those classrooms. Students will be made aware of these changes ahead of time.
This morning, Tuesday, all students should have received an email from their House teachers with their schedule for the week that includes links to all of their virtual classes. Wednesday has a modified schedule for an orientation at the beginning of the day, but Thursday and Friday follow our normal schedule almost exactly.
Below is what your student's schedules will look like for the week, but the specific classes in the areas that say "P1", "P2", "P3", etc are included. Please have your students check their Dalton emails for more information. We are all excited to see students (virtually) tomorrow at 8:00, and in person on Monday, August 24th!
Important CDS Community Update
First Day of School
Wednesday, August 19th (Virtual House begins at 8:00)
Anywhere! At home, in a quiet space with few distractions.
House teachers shared a link to join them on Zoom or Hangout at 8:00. (Sent to student's email.)
What to Bring?
A computer and headphones.
Students will receive their Math, Science, and Social Studies textbooks from the library on the first or second day of next week. Please bring the books you have purchased with you on Monday.
학생들은 첫째날 또는 둘째날 도서관에서 수학, 과학, 사회 교과서를 받을 예정입니다. 이 외 과목 교과서는 등교 첫날 가지고 와야합니다.
MS Student Orientation:
The first day of school will be used for orientation, culture building, and team building activities.
등교 첫 날은 중학교 오리엔테이션, 친구들과 관계쌓기 등의 활동 위주로 진행됩니다. 정규 교과는 등교 둘째날부터 시작됩니다.
Morning Drop off and Afternoon Pick Up
Through our “CDS Return to School Plan” and Newsletter, there was a statement restricting car parking on campus. This was a strict application of the quarantine regulations, but many parents voiced their concerns of the inconvenience and pointed out that parking is prohibited because the road outside the school is a child-protected area.
Therefore, as before, parents can use vehicles to enter the parking lot for students to and from school. However, only students are allowed to get in and out, and guardians are required to stay in the vehicle, and access to the building cannot be done unless the appointment is made in advance. We apologize for causing the confusion, and we ask for your understanding as it was in the process of devising measures for student safety.
본교의 CDS Return to School Plan과 뉴스레터를 통해 차량의 주차장 진입을 제한하는 내용이 있었습니다. 이는 본교에서 방역 규정을 엄격하게 적용한 것이지만, 다수의 학부모님께서 불편함을 호소하고, 학교 밖 도로가 어린이 보호구역이어서 주정차가 금지되어 있는 점을 지적해주셨습니다. 이에 종전처럼 학부모님께서 학생의 등하교를 위해 차량을 이용, 주차장까지 진입하실 수 있게끔 하겠습니다. 다만 학생만 승하차시키시고, 보호자께서는 차량에 머물러 주시기 바라며, 건물 내 출입은 사전 예약을 하지 않으시는 이상 하실 수 없습니다.
혼란을 초래한 점 사과드리며, 학생 안전을 위한 방안을 강구하는 과정에서 나온 것이니 양해 부탁드립니다. 감사합니다.
CDS Return to School Plan
- After School: Unless students are participating in sports or After School Programs, students should leave campus immediately. The school will be closed at 5:00pm each day for sanitation. Student can be picked up from after school sports or programs outside of the Dalton Arches or in the new parking lots across the street.
- Guests on Campus: Guests, including parents, are not allowed in the school building during the school day unless they have an appointment. If you need to come in the school building for any reason, you must contact the Middle School Office first.
- Absences: If you suspect your child has any of the symptoms of COVID or will be absent for any reason, contact the Middle School Office. Students will be expected to get their schoolwork completed once they recover, but your child's safety and health take priority over their school work. If they are home from school with mild symptoms, they can check their Assignment Packets and Google Classroom for all of their assignments. They can also communicate with their teachers via email. Once your child returns to school, we will make sure they utilize Lab and Flex time to get caught up with their teachers on the content they missed. If there is a case where someone in our community is diagnosed with COVID, the school will switch to distance learning until we are allowed to reopen campus.
- Lunch: As students walk through the line, they can communicate with the cafeteria serving staff about portion size and decline something if they do not wish to have it. But the choice of western meal or Korean meal is not offered during the first term. Being safe and efficient is key while serving and eating in the cafeteria. Limiting choice is a function of utilizing the resources we have to achieve safety and efficiency.
- Water bottles: We highly recommended that students bring their own water bottle.This will eliminate extra trips to the water dispenser and keep the water dispenser more sanitary.
Our Return to School Plan is a working document that will be updated as we begin the new school year and throughout the year. Some protocols may change, and we will be sure to share the changes with you once they are made.
Health Check Form
학생 건강 자가 진단서
Supplies for 2020-21 School Year
- 5 White D-ring Moonhwa Binders A4 3cm
- 1 Index Divider Packet (10 dividers in each packet)
- 6 Notebooks (any notebooks)
- 5th and 8th Grade Science: Any Wireless Mouse (here is an example)
- Art and 5th Grade Math: Colored Pencils
- Chinese Bridge and Advanced Chinese: 3 Chinese Character Notebooks
If you need to order textbooks for your students, please see this letter from our librarian, Ms. Carley. New students will learn what World Language class they will be in on the first day. Parents can purchase their world language workbooks here. Textbooks may be take a while for delivery, but we have enough for students to borrow in the meantime.
Student Council 2020-21
Like years past, all students may apply for the Secretary, Treasurer, and Grade Level Representative Positions.
The application forms for all positions are below. Candidates will give their campaign speeches on Friday, August 28th during CC time. We can wait to see what our student leaders do this year!