May 1, 2023
Welcome from Mrs. Tanner
Dear Sheldon Families,
Happy May Day! As a reminder, the last day of school for Sheldon students is Tuesday, May 16th!
The new car line route due to construction IS STILL IN PLACE. Attempting to turn left onto Sena off of Gage is causing traffic back-ups. Additionally, we are unable to safely manage the line coming from two different directions. If you are not using the new procedure and are continuing to line up the way we used to, your vehicle will be expected to wait until the rest of the cars lined up on Seabrook are through.
In order to access the car line, please use the following route (also pictured on map below). Thank you for your attention to this!
SW Huntoon to SW Hillsdale St
- SW Hillsdale St turn RIGHT on to SW 12th
- SW 12th turn LEFT onto SW Seabrook Ave.
- SW Seabrook Ave turn LEFT onto SW Sena Dr.
- Turn RIGHT into School parking lot and proceed thru Car Line.
- Turn RIGHT out of school parking lot
- SW Sena Dr to SW McAllister Ave to Huntoon
Families of OT students, the car line is a RIGHT TURN ONLY out of our parking lot. This will be especially important with the way the car line must flow due to the construction. DO NOT BLOCK intersections or driveways! This is just respectful. We share our neighborhood - let's be good neighbors.
Click the link to access the 2022-2023 Family Handbook.
As always, if you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to me!
Thank you for the privilege of serving you ~
Mrs. Gabrielle Tanner, Principal
Teacher Appreciation Week
Sheldon Promotion Ceremonies
- May 16 @ 2:00: 201 (Mrs. D), 204 (Ms. Jessica), 205 (Ms. Holmes), 105 (Ms. Kim)
- May 16 @ 2:30: 200 (Ms. Miller), 202 (Ms. Debbie), 203 (Ms. Heather D.), 107 (Ms. Lewis)
There will be parking available in The Temple parking lot at the end of Munson St. Parking is also available on side streets. There will be some areas on Munson St. coned off to ensure buses can still get through. The cermonies will take place on the playground. All of the playground gates (Munson St. entrance and parking lot entrance) for families to access the playground. If families want to take their students with them after the ceremony, they will enter the side door of the building (in the staff parking lot), check in with the staff member at the door and your student will be brought to you. Students will wear caps and gowns - please be mindful of hairstyles to make sure the cap fits on their head!
Items That Need Your Attention
Online Registration is Open!
We would like to provide a few important tips to prepare our families for the experience with our new Student Information System, Synergy!
- When registration opens, families who have at least one student returning to Topeka Public Schools will receive an automated individual email sent directly from the Synergy system. This email will include a unique code the parent must have in order to create a username and password to use with the Synergy ParentVue portal. Once the parent creates these credentials, the link for online registration is at the top-right in ParentVue.
- When registration opens, families who have NO STUDENTS previously attending Topeka Public Schools will begin the process from the district's website. Families with any returning students cannot begin from the website, as they must have the unique code provided in the automated email.
- If you have an electronic copy of the student's birth certificate and other requested documents, you will be able to upload those prior to submitting your registration. This will save you having to provide those items to the school in-person later.
- If you have any questions about logging into Synergy ParentVue or Submitting your Online Registration, please email SISHelp@tps501.org or call 785-438-4750 between 7:30 and 4:30 for assistance.
If you have any questions after submitting your online registration, please contact your student's school or the demographics office at 785-295-3000 for assistance.
Online Registration Tips
- When completing online registration, if your child shows as "Graduated" or any other code that does not allow you to proceed with their registration, please email SISHelp@tps501.org.
- If you are a returning family and did not receive the email from Synergy, check your Spam/Junk folder.
- As was the case with TylerSIS, families who use a YAHOO.com account may not receive the automated email, and will need to email SISHelp@tps501.org for assistance.
Have you had a positive experience at Sheldon? We would love for that to be highlighted on the website! Please take 1 minute to visit GreatSchools.org, search for Sheldon Child Development, click on the Review icon, and share what you love about our program!
Time to Eat!
Policy & Procedure Review
Smoke/Tobacco Free Workplace
Each week the Sheldon staff reviews one of our Head Start Policies & Procedures and felt it was important that families stay up to date on these as well. This quarter our focus is on Program Management and Program Governance. If you ever have any questions regarding our policies and procedures, please reach out!
Smoke/Tobacco Free Workplace
Smoking and use of tobacco is prohibited in all facilities used to serve Head Start children. This policy relates to ACF Program Instruction #ACYF-PI-HS-95-04, and relates to Head Start Performance Standards 45 CFR Part 1302.47
Sheldon will provide a smoke and tobacco free workplace by:
- Prohibiting smoking (including e-cigarettes) and the use of tobacco products in all buildings, offices, playgrounds, and classrooms. Administrative offices and classrooms located on school district properties must follow the tobacco free policy of the district if more restrictive policies are in place.
- Requiring all employees, interns, and volunteers to only smoke or use tobacco products in designated areas outside the building, before or after work and during breaks and/or lunch.
- Ensuring that employees will not smoke or use tobacco products when dealing in person with other employees, customers, prospective customers, or the general public while on the job.
- Smoking and the use of tobacco products in any agency vehicle will be prohibited.
- Prohibiting smoking and tobacco use by staff during home visits. Staff may request that parents not smoke or use tobacco during home visits.
Topeka Resources Checklist
Sheldon Food & Clothing Bank
Community Resources Council Directory
If in need of resources, you can also contact the United Way by dialing 211.