Follow Your Own Star
Weekly Newsletter February 1-5
Peek @ the Week: National School Counseling Week
Monday, February 1
- Teacher Forum @DO 4:00 pm
Tuesday, February 2
- Science Fair projects due
- PTA/Science Fun Night/Science Fair 6:30 pm
Wednesday, February 3
- Principal's Meeting 8:30 am
- 4th grade field trip to orchestra
- Speech @DO 8:00 am
- Literacy Cohort IX @DO 3:00 pm
Thursday, February 4
- Literacy Cohort X @DO 3:00 pm
Friday, February 5
- CPR Recertification class
- 5K field trip to circus
Need to Know News Shared with OES Parents
A Message from Dr. P
In a recent Edutopia blogpost, entitled "Timely Feedback: Now or Never," the author states...When receiving constructive feedback, learners need to know what they did well and whether their understanding is on target. Recognizing what's working reinforces those practices. Too often the inclination is to focus only on what's missing or underdeveloped. These concerns do need to be addressed, but receiving the message is just as important as delivering it.
Start with what's working.
This is a much kinder approach because individuals feel that their efforts are productive and their time is well spent. They become more receptive to dialogue about what skills and concepts are missing. Word choice is important to feedback. Consider using these starter stems to frame coaching students on giving constructive feedback:
- I like. . .
- I notice. . .
- I wonder. . .
- What if. . .
Kindness doesn't mean avoiding critique.
Ask, "What kinds of details -- facts, examples, or illustrations -- would help your reader better understand your position?" It's more helpful than saying, "You need to show more effort in your writing if you want readers to value your position." How we phrase feedback impacts how it's received.
Mark Your Calendars...
- February 2nd- Science Fun Night/PTA Science Fair 6:30 pm
- February 9th- PBIS Team Meeting
- February 11th- Grades for interims due; RtI Meetings; Honor Choir & PE Club perform at Wofford College
- February 12th- Valentine's Day Parties 1:00-1:30
- February 15th-19- Jump Rope for Heart week
- February 16th- Interim reports go home
Birthday Wishes Go Out To...
Tracy Owens- February 22
Lori Hutchins- February 23
Turner Fortner- February 23