Gage Community School Connection
September 23, 2016 Edition
Highlights from the morning:
- Muffins were provided by Perkins (and they were delicious!)
- Prizes were donated from JoAnn Fabrics.
- Cathy Manulik, our Olmsted County Public Health Nurse was available to help families sign up for our Flu Clinic next Wednesday.
Gator Gatherings will occur once a month on a Friday morning. They are a chance for families to connect with each other, with Gage, and with one another. We will have different topics addressed each month & many months will highlight one of our community partners. All are invited to attend! Our next Gator Gathering will be Friday, October 28th at 8:00.
Our teachers are dedicated to ensuring that these conferences offer an opportunity to build relationships between families and the school. They may share some beginning data related to your child's academic levels, but expect to spend more time talking about your family and having an opportunity to share your child's story with his/her teacher.
Some topics that might be discussed during this conference are listed below. Your teacher may share things he/she has noticed about your child so far in the school year, but will also allow time for you to share.
- Your child's interests. How can you tell when he/she is really interested in something?
- Your child's strengths. What are things she/he does well? What seems to come easily to the child?
- Your child's struggles. What are things he/she needs extra help with? What seems to have caused the child difficulty in previous years?
- Your behavioral expectations at home and how those may be the same or different than what is expected at school.
- Your child's health. Does your child have any allergies?
- Your family's culture. Are there holidays your family does or does not celebrate? What makes your family special?
- Your child's emotions. Does your child seem to be making friends at school? How does your child show excitement, concern, or anger?
Gage Events: https://teamup.com/ks8f54716084ea9103
Parent/Family Events: https://teamup.com/ks220097c68cec4410
1st Grade: https://teamup.com/ks1bfbc0f4ce02756b
2nd Grade: https://teamup.com/ks080ef4a9063a1f94
3rd Grade: https://teamup.com/ksda580a922fbdfc3a
4th Grade: https://teamup.com/ks87521e8238997578
5th Grade: https://teamup.com/ksa81dccd64b88e569
We are looking into some new options for parent communication this school year. We have previously been using Precioustatus, but some new costs for their tool have us looking at other options. If there is a communication tool you love, please let us know! We'd love to include it in our consideration for a new building-wide tool!
(Teachers - we want your input, too! You're also welcome to pose this question to families at conferences and pass on responses!) This is repeated from last week due to few responses.
You may respond using the form below, or at the link: https://goo.gl/forms/hu8qO2Wfv625IGjw1
This week we'd like to share more about our partnership with Channel One Food Bank. Channel One supports our students and families in a number of ways. They provide the food that is packaged by our church partner, Rochester Covenant Church, into bags for students to take home on Fridays (please click here to sign your family up for this service if it would benefit your family). In addition, they support the food shelf within our Family Resource Room that reaches an average of over 100 people a week and provide snacks support to our students on Fridays.
Check out the Channel One Website for more information about the tools and supports they can offer your family or find out how you can support this organization!