September 3rd, 2021
What an amazing start of school! Welcoming students back was exciting. Red and black streamers decorated the stairs. Balloon arches adorned the stairwells. Students were thrilled to see friends. Families, teachers, and students got to know each other during Open House. Teachers greeted each student on the first day of school. Students were engaged in classes from beginning to end in the excitement of being together. NC has an amazing student body. We are fortunate to serve this community.
I could use your support in helping the lunch process be easier for students and staff. First, please encourage students to memorize their student ID number to avoid delays in the lunch line. We are also working on seating expectations during lunch. While students may sit in a different location each day, they do need to remain in the same seat within a given lunch period. We have opened additional seating in the commons area and on the patio. After they've finished eating , students may access on-campus, outdoor fields for the rest of the lunch period. I am adding in additional information below regarding the Covid guidelines for those who would like to review them in more detail.
Thank you for helping us maintain health precautions to ensure we see every student, every day.
This Week's Events
Saturday, September 4th
- Football vs. Freeman has been cancelled
Monday, September 6th
- No School, Labor Day Holiday
Tuesday, September 7th
- Volleyball at Cheney, Varsity at 7 PM
- JV Football vs Freeman has been cancelled
Wednesday, September 8th
- Softball vs. Cheney at Home , 4 PM
Thursday, September 9th
- Soccer vs. Shadle at Dwight Merkel Complex, 4 PM
Friday, September 10th
- School Picture Day
- Football at Grandview, 7 PM
Saturday, September 11th
- Volleyball Rip a Shot Tournament at Freeman, 9 AM - 7 PM
Meet Principal Tami McCracken & the Admin Team
Back Row, Left to Right
- Shelly Radtke - Athletics, Activities, Social Media
- MaryO Gustafson - Student Services, Student Supports, Special Education
- Tami McCracken - School Improvement, Professional Development, English
- Jessica Everman - School Counseling, Scheduling and Registration, CTE, Math
Front Row, Left to Right
- Anne Park, Intern - Parent-teacher Conferences, Registration, Counseling, Testing
- Mark Sherwood - Student Services, PBIS, Student Supports, World Languages
- Heidi Hayes - Communication, College & Career, Testing, Science, Social Studies
- Dr. Carole Baumgartner - Student Services, Technology, Safety, Fitness, Fine Arts
School Pictures This Week
Counseling Corner - Graduation Pathways
The counselors are busy at work making sure all students have the exact classes they need to get to an on time graduation! Did you know that there are specific state requirements students must meet to graduate with a Washington state diploma? Students must have 24 credits in specific content areas, complete a high school and beyond plan, and have a completed career pathway. Pathways are the newest piece of the puzzle for the class of 2022 and beyond. You can learn more about pathways HERE. The counselors will be supporting your student all four years in the journey toward graduation. The more you know, the better you can help prepare your student for success!
Upcoming College Deadlines
Friday, October 1st - FAFSA Opens
- What? The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It's required for financial aid packages for US colleges.
- Who? Any student in the graduating class of 2022
- The student and a parent/guardian must create an FSA ID in order to complete and electronically sign. Parents should click this link Create Account | Federal Student Aid to get your FSA ID. You will need your social security number (if you do not have one, contact email@example.com who will help you complete a financial aid form). Creating a FSA ID takes about 10 minutes.
- Once the form is completed, colleges use it to put together financial aid plans for their students. The earlier you get it in, the more aid you'll be eligible for!
Monday, October 4th, 8am-10am
- What? Spokane 2021 T24 College Fair Circuit
- Where? North Central High School
- When? 8am – 10am
- ** Watch for more information to come! This is a great event to learn about colleges in our area!
COVID Safety at SPS
PowerSchool Parent Portal
Having trouble logging in? Check your mail for an activation code or call the student office at 354-6310.
Free School Meals
School Hours & Schedule
On regular school days, the doors open at 7:45 AM for students to enter and grab a free breakfast. Students are expected to clear the building by 2:35 PM unless they have a scheduled club or activity to attend. Please review the bell schedule or SPS calendar below if you have questions on specific days.
Student Parking Passes
Student Laptop Checkout
All students at NCHS will be checking out a laptop on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. Before checking one out, we require the Laptop Checkout Form from a parent/guardian to acknowledge responsibility for the device. The checkout form is available at spokaneschools.org/laptopcheckout or on paper in any of our offices. Please fill it out so that your child can pick up their laptop as soon as possible.
Business Office Updates
- Do you have any student fees to pay online? Simply choose "Pay Fees" on the NCHS website for full directions on how to access your child's account and pay online.
- The GSL Participation Fee is $42 this year, but students can quality for a waiver based on their Free and Reduced Lunch status or College Bound Scholarship Eligibility. This form is included in the Family ID sports registration and is available at the Business Office.
- We have last year's yearbooks available in the office for those who still haven't picked their up or for those who would like to purchase one for $30. We're also selling yearbooks for this year for $36 until December 31st.
- We have NC gear available in the Business Office. Feel free to come in and shop now and watch for news on a new online store that will be opening later this school year!
For any questions, stop by the Business Office or call us at 324-6239.
Student attendance at school is highly related to their success. It's very important to us that all students attend school as much as possible to maximize their learning. If your child has to miss school for any reason, please call the 24-hour Attendance Hotline at 509-354-6309. Use this hotline to report absences, late arrivals and early dismissals. Please make sure to let us know if an absence is excused so that it is not reported as an unexcused truancy.